Pre-Game OOC Discussion

Player Characters:

--------------------------------------------------

Player: thorgal
Character Name: Franz von Tottenakker
Career: Grave Warden
Character Sheet: pdf

Franz Notes:

No backpack - if you want one you will have to buy one at some point.
Since we aren't using Fortune Points, only Fate Points, I will let you re-roll this talent if you like. Alternatively you can regenerate 1 Fate Point every 24 hours instead. Making you truly blessed of Morr! Up to you. :-D

All your starting equipment is of Poor Quality.

Player: snotling
Character Name: Dieter Weyrauch
Career: Fisherman

Dieter Notes:

Your character has the Swim basic skill which the generator missed off. Added.
As a human you get two additional random talents which were included: Sturdy and Sixth sense.

You still have 1 free advance of 5% or 100xp. Spend now or later. I know you told me what you wanted your advance to be but I forgot. Of course!
Where's your 'wart'? (ooh err)
What is your hand weapon? Sword, club, axe etc.

Player: otvem
Character Name: Siegfried Lowenzahn
Career: Bounty Hunter

Siegfried Notes:

As a human you get 2 random talents. You have recorded Lighting Reflexes and Gossip. Gossip is not a talent so you can't take that. I rolled again for you and got Fleet Footed (+1 movement).

You still have 1 free advance of 5% or 100xp. Spend now or later.

Your crossbow is a Light Crossbow with an optimal range of 24 yards. You can overshoot with a -20% penalty every multiple of 24 you attempt up to a maximum of 98 yards. It takes 1 full round to reload a crossbow. Crossbows are Armour Piercing by default but only in their optimal range.

All your starting equipment is of Common Quality.

Player: rafen
Character Name: Katalin Grotekson
Career: Shieldbreaker

Katalin Notes:

Can't advance WS as its a 10% advance and the Free Advance is only worth 5%. I've added the advance as 100xp so you can spend it now or later.

Hand Weapon is a catch all. Please specify your preference from:  Axe, Hammer, Sword or Mace. This is for consistency/roleplaying reasons.

Your crossbow is a Light Crossbow with an optimal range of 24 yards. You can overshoot with a -20% penalty every multiple of 24 you attempt up to a maximum of 98 yards. It takes 1 full round to reload a crossbow. Crossbows are Armour Piercing by default but only in their optimal range.

Your distinguishing feature was Strangely Coloured Eye(s). Can you decide how that will work? An old wound, blood shot, unusual colour, one iris different colour to another etc.

If you check out the Timeline thread you can see that a good deal has happened in the 85 years since you were born. If we assume a Dwarf is an adult at 21, that leaves some time for your character to have been a Shieldbreaker. If you want to incorporate any of the last 60 years or so in to your bio now is a good time to think about doing so.

All your starting equipment is of Good Quality.

Player: tsamados
Character Name: Waldermar Rommel
Career: Outrider

Waldermar Notes:

Your 2 random Talents are Warrior Born and Exellent Vision.
I took your Free Advance in WS since the alternative is WP and you already chose against that during creation. Let me know if you're unhappy with that.

At 6'2" your character is a literal giant among men. :-)

All your starting equipment is of Common Quality.

Player: tomb-2001
Character Name: Elizabetta Falkenheim
Career: Hedge Wizard

Elizabetta Notes:

No backpack.
No quarterstaff, its not a hand weapon. Club for you Mrs! You gained a hood, so, err great I guess.
I also added Aethyric Sensitivity which, as a Wizard, gives you +20% to Channeling and Magical Sense but a +20% (unmodifiable) chance of blowing up on the Wizdar every time you rub one out. Ye be warned. :-)  Oh, you also have to roll +1 d10 when determining Tzeentch's Curse (yes you have to roll for it, even though you aren't an arcane spellcaster). So even though you only get 1 d10 with 1 MP, you roll two d10. The second doesn't count but does if you roll doubles. I also gave you ingredients for one casting of every spell in your grimoire. This represents your shamanistic use of proxy objects and ritual etc.

Universal Notes:

I created random birth dates for your characters based on their age.

Once the game starts I'll be rolling all the dice and updating all the character sheets.

I'm not going to bother with individual character encumbrance rules except for how armour affects movement rates and obvious actions where encumbrance should be a consideration. Common Sense will be applied so if you want to get a horse, cart, boat , unskilled hirelings to haul stuff that can be negotiated as/when.

If you are heavily wounded (3 or less wounds) you would need both hands to use a crossbow and so would have to drop your shield (or off hand weapon) if you wanted to do so. So basically a light crossbow becomes a two handed weapon in this state of play.

I am to nerds what nerds are to normal people.

#2 Sunday, 5th October 2014 22:55

Otvem
Majoor Majoor

Re: Pre-Game OOC Discussion

Dear GM,

Looks very good timeline thread and the rest so respect. Two small things
As random talents I had lightning reflexes and very resilient. Not gossip. Furthermore there are no more ticks in my talent and skill boxes on the PDF. Btw not using Firefox ;-) this had already been taken into account in my stats (as you can see toughness has been raised with 5%.
If you don't mond please just reflect thia on The PDF and change The movement back to original. But thumbs up for the job you did so far.

#3 Sunday, 5th October 2014 22:57

Snotling
Save the Snotlings!
Website

Added Swim

The advance was for S - from 31 to 36.

Where's your 'wart'? - Right cheek, visible.

What is your hand weapon? Club

All your starting equipment is of Poor Quality. - Gotcha!

#4 Sunday, 5th October 2014 22:57

Otvem
Majoor Majoor

Grognard,

I just noticed that the current PDF used by you doesn't show up well on MAC products either. The tickboxes are all over the place. That probably goes for the ones i used in your PDF reader/editor. How are we going to fix this? We could instead use an excell charactersheet?

It would provide us with a uniform format that will not suffer from the differences between platforms and browsers.

Last edited by Otvem (Sunday, 5th October 2014 22:58)

#5 Sunday, 5th October 2014 22:59

Thorgal
Murder Hobo

No backpack - if you want one you will have to buy one at some point.
O.K. Will go into Nuln to hunt one down

Since we aren't using Fortune Points, only Fate Points, I will let you re-roll this talent if you like.
AFAIK, this is not a talent, but a thing given in the rulebook.

Alternatively you can regenerate 1 Fate Point every 24 hours instead. Making you truly blessed of Morr! Up to you. :-D
oooh, yes please!!

O.K.

#6 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:00

Grognard
Spergelord

Looks very good timeline thread and the rest so respect. Two small things
As random talents I had lightning reflexes and very resilient. Not gossip. Furthermore there are no more ticks in my talent and skill boxes on the PDF. Btw not using Firefox ;-) this had already been taken into account in my stats (as you can see toughness has been raised with 5%.
If you don't mond please just reflect thia on The PDF and change The movement back to original. But thumbs up for the job you did so far.

Hmm the second character sheet you sent me has gossip and no very resilient. Honest! Check it out in your email. :-P
But no matter, I'll tweak the 'new' sheet to reflect the choices you made err *cough random talents you rolled. :-)

Added Swim

The advance was for S - from 31 to 36.

Where's your 'wart'? - Right cheek, visible.

What is your hand weapon? Club

All your starting equipment is of Poor Quality. - Gotcha!

Haha poor quality equipment! *points and laughs

I just noticed that the current PDF used by you doesn't show up well on MAC products either. The tickboxes are all over the place. That probably goes for the ones i used in your PDF reader/editor. How are we going to fix this? We could instead use an excell charactersheet like this one:

That is indeed a good sheet! I will have a look at the ones I did though - I was using the note function instead of creating a custom stamp and making it editable field etc. Basically I was being lazy. So if it doesn't work, that's not a huge surprise. Haha! Leave it with me a few hrs to fiddle. If I can't fix it, sure we can change to the other sheet. 

Looked into my specs and decided to take the advance of +5 on WS :)

Roger.

AFAIK, this is not a talent, but a thing given in the rulebook.

Yeah its one of the random talents in the Random Talent Table (2-4 pg 19). You must have rolled Luck when you did that? Its ok anyway, I am happy to leave it as is. I think it makes your character one of those unnervingly lucky people that just always seem to do the most ridiculous things as if its nothing. ;-)

I'm going to get some breakfast now (lol 20:00)

#7 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:01

Thorgal
Murder Hobo

oops, my bad!
You are (we both are right) In a 'normal' game the amount of fortune points is equal to the amount of faith points. With luck you'll get 1 fprtune extra.
in this game PBEM, there are no fortune points.

all clear now for me.

#8 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:02

Grognard
Spergelord

oops, my bad!

Oh right, yeah. I wasn't trying to say you were wrong. :-) The chances of me being right about most things going forward are slim to none! 

Anyway, I figure since you can never have more than 3 (iirc) it won't be that bad in game terms but will allow for some fun roleplaying. :-D

#9 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:02

Thorgal
Murder Hobo

So here we are standing in Nuln. Where are we standing? And where can I get a decent backpack?
Or am I too soon now an too straight forward GM?

#10 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:03

Grognard
Spergelord

I'll have a fiddle with the character sheets again tonight and hopefully we'll be ready to begin in a day or two at most. Rafen is on GMT I think, and since I did all the sheets overnight he probably hasn't checked in yet.

The Oldenhaller Contract will begin with an intro post from me about the boat trip and you will probably then find yourself in the tavern, as per the scenario. Fair notice though - I will be changing some things around to provide a challenge. :-P

I have a really excellent scenario based out of Nuln to follow Oldenhaller with; one which I think is far superior but being character and plot heavy I thought it best to go with the established scenario to begin with.

I'm not going to just just let it drift initially like some games, I find that really boring personally. We'll get straight down to business.

You will have plenty of opportunity to go shopping hehe. Don't worry!

#11 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:03

Thorgal
Murder Hobo

*pulls sock over the right hand*

'you hear that mister sock? We'll have plenty of chance to buy a backpack!'

I'm I lucky this is all OOC! I'll wait for the first post then and react accordingly.

#12 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:04

Grognard
Spergelord

LOL! Reminds me of Mr. Flibble.

tumblr_m6n2b94NiO1r75hfco1_500.jpg

#13 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:05

Thorgal
Murder Hobo

Edit: and I've found the edit button. Good thing it is there.
@your reply: Red dwarf, what a good show it was.

#14 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:06

Otvem
Majoor Majoor

Darm GM "I grovel before thee" i checked and you are right. My bag. Thx for changing it. Btw I really did roll those talents. Really
Cross my heart hope to die

#15 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:07

Grognard
Spergelord

Darm GM "I grovel before thee" i checked and you are right. My bag. Thx for changing it. Btw I really did roll those talents. Really
Cross my heart hope to die

Ha! I am not the GM, I'm just some guy who failed to find real life friends to play this game with and thinks (naively) he can handle all this nonsense .. :-P

#16 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:07

Grognard
Spergelord

Ok I updated all the char sheets. Otvem can you check them on your mac and make sure all is well? Also Siegfried is shaping up to be a total bad ass. Even if he is only five foot eight.

Snotling: You can't advance S by 5% its a 10% advance for your career. So I advanced your T to 36. Moan if that's unacceptable. :-P

Rafen: I chose a hand axe for the hand weapon and you still have 1 free 5% advance to spend between now and when we actually begin. Please let me know.

We also have a fifth (and possibly sixth) player joining us who's character sheet will be going up tonight or tomorrow. He'll be playing an Imperial Outrider. :-D Presumably you'll be eating yummy horse steaks for the duration of your stay in Nuln .. :-D

6 players will be a stretch frankly and I think we may end up sandboxing a bit and feeding in the next adventure in parallel. Depending on how many of you drop out. Which will probably be all of you buggers now I've spent 14 hrs making silly pdf character sheets!

Oh I also finished the Timeline. I've brought forward the Marienburger secession a lot. This is because, along with all the other entries, it makes for more interesting plot hooks and politics.

#17 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:08

Otvem
Majoor Majoor

Ok I updated all the char sheets. Otvem can you check them on your mac and make sure all is well? Also Siegfried is shaping up to be a total bad ass. Even if he is only five foot eight.

Looking great GM. He does look good. But I think i took the advance on WS so i should be left with 0 XP but I can live with 100 :-D

#18 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:09

Grognard
Spergelord

Awesome! Finally! Thats a huge relief, I was worried I'd have to do them all three times! Heh. Ok, then, so, we're good to go as soon as Rafen decides what he wants and I get the character sheets for the last two sorted out.

That 100 is your total lifetime xp, you start out with 100 (free advance) so I just figured it would be nice to record it. You're not supposed to be total newblords iirc.

If you're going to insist on calling me GM, I'm going to call you Major. I suspect you'd outrank me at that point ..

Oh, yeah, shameless plug: we need a Wizard for the HeroQuest game. If one of you nice ladies would consider taking that on we can actually start the game! :-P

Update: Added Waldermar Rommel, Outrider to list of characters in OP. Just waiting on one more chap now.

#19 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:10

Otvem
Majoor Majoor

Please God NO i will stick with Grognard :) Well great gift the 100 XP keep up the good work:-D

#20 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:10

Rafen

Hi Grognard,

Sorry will try to be in touch more, I've had a few busy evenings and my work network won't let me connect to this site annoyingly so have to use the phone which doesn't look terribly productive lol.

For the strange eyes I will have different coloured eyes, golden left and blue right.

Sorry i misunderstood the xp boost thing, I'll take the 5% on strength if I can.

Hand axe seems appropriate to me cheers

Rafen

#21 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:12

Grognard
Spergelord

Hi Grognard,

Sorry will try to be in touch more, I've had a few busy evenings and my work network won't let me connect to this site annoyingly so have to use the phone which doesn't look terribly productive lol.

For the strange eyes I will have different coloured eyes, golden left and blue right.

Sorry i misunderstood the xp boost thing, I'll take the 5% on strength if I can.

Hand axe seems appropriate to me cheers

Rafen

5% strength will be added.

Eyes noted.

I'd like someone to make a dwarf with a sword or something one day. Just for the novelty factor ..

And finally, regarding your pitiful excuses, need I remind you: this is a play by post forum not a knitting class! We do not train to be merciful here. Late posting does not exist in this dojo, does it?? NO SENSEI!

#22 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:12

Rafen

No Sensei, sorry sensei, I will do better sensei

#23 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:13

Grognard
Spergelord

No Sensei, sorry sensei, I will do better sensei

STRIKE FIRST. STRIKE HARD. NO MERCY!

Johnny Kreese, fecking legend! I miss the 80's. :-|

Anyway .. update. I'm working on the final character. Looking like an academic sort. Thankfully! Game starting soon(tm). I'll send an email out to everyone when the first post is up. The 'clock' starts when the first person replies in OOC.

#24 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:19

Tomb-2001

Looks like my character is about ready to be inflicted on the world or at least the Empire!

As this is my first post on the forum a big HELLO to the rest of you guys - looking forward to joining you.

#25 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:19

Grognard
Spergelord

Welcome! We are indeed about ready to start. Finally! I'm not going to take on any more players (lol) so no excuses this time. Aiming for Sunday. My first day off of four! w00t :-)

#26 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:20

Rafen

In the voice of John Anderson "Gladiators Ready!"

#27 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:21

Otvem
Majoor Majoor

on your marks

#28 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:21

Grognard
Spergelord

on your marks

Get set .. almost ..

Finished work like 7 hrs ago. Sleep. Jog. Breakfast. Then four days off yo!

pbpgames.org: where Sunday is actually Monday. ;-)

#29 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:22

Thorgal
Murder Hobo

And in this thread we can start to discuss what we'll do the first round? Or will there be another thread opened for this?

#30 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:23

Grognard
Spergelord

And in this thread we can start to discuss what we'll do the first round? Or will there be another thread opened for this?

For every day in game there will be a new thread for the Journal and Deliberation for that day's play. The latter is the place to post up what you think, discuss what you're going to do, resolve tests, speak out of character and also make your in character posts. I'll then update the Journal.

The idea is that you can discuss stuff freely out of character before posting in character and it means you don't need to worry so much about the creative writing part, which I will mostly handle.

#31 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:25

Tomb-2001

If for any reason we wanted our character to carry out an action without the knowledge of the others PCs? Or say they were out of sight of the others and their actions could not could reasonably be determined - how would this be worked out?

#32 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:25

Grognard
Spergelord

If for any reason we wanted our character to carry out an action without the knowledge of the others PCs? Or say they were out of sight of the others and their actions could not could reasonably be determined - how would this be worked out?

If there is a break in the group, I was planning to post a break in the Journal for that group's actions on that cycle. Just head it up: the location, the characters involved.

For stuff you don't want anyone else to see you can email me, I guess. Unless its really, really secret stuff like stealing something or character based stuff you want to keep between us, I'd just post it in the Deliberation thread. Let's face it, keeping secrets from the other players, being anal about not revealing stuff they won't know IC etc. is just too silly. Around a table, in someone's house, you have to announce your intentions. So its all out there anyway.

You're all mature enough to act objectively in the spirit of the game, regardless of what you know in advance, I am sure. Again this is something the kids and lesser mortals struggle to do and so their games fail! Most of the guys I played with would build encyclopedic knowledge of any scenarios I announced in advance. Then they would game the tits off it throughout. Just because. That isn't something I think you will do. And I trust you not to be douches like that. ;-) Let's face it - we're all too old for this kind of stuff anyway. So, really, we should also be too old for that sort of crapola!

I'm dead keen to steer away from the traditional message game approach of narcissistic players jerking off in their own little worlds etc. Again the idea is to promote a group experience, same as you would have round a table, rather than the mess of egocentrism that you see in a lot of 'games' online. I figure this because those games never last very long and I totally prefer the narrative journey over any D&D style concepts of competitiveness and wang waving, where every player character is the coolest bad-ass and everyone else needs to just damn well admire them for it.

Not that this is what you meant, granted! :-D  I just totally do not want to do what is done on other sites where people put little in and could care less for the narrative unless its all about them.

That said, this is all quite new to me too. I am going off the game I pilfered: http://westkingdom.blogspot.co.uk/ for ideas on how to structure it.

Here's the opening post and responses in their own format (easier to follow than the way I reproduced it here): http://westkingdom.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/3-july-1280-game-begins.html

IMHO the GM doesn't structure his Journal very creatively or with much verbosity. So it looks a bit choppy and 'he said, she did' at times later on. I think he states that he just gets burned out. I'm hoping to be a bit more consistent with that!

Anyway, open to suggestions! Especially if you've got experience with this and think I'm dead wrong or w/e. Now is the time to reach a concensus I guess. Happy to do things entirely differently if there's sufficient logic behind it.

#33 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:26

Tomb-2001

Just noticed that the spells listed are all petty magic (arcane) not (hedge) - I think I may have muddled this on my original character sheet - I assume you can adjust, shame as the hedge spells are pants in comparison - still given the chances of blowing up day one this might be all a little academic - ho hum!:-|

#34 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:27

Grognard
Spergelord

tomb-2001 wrote:

Just noticed that the spells listed are all petty magic (arcane) not (hedge) - I think I may have muddled this on my original character sheet - I assume you can adjust, shame as the hedge spells are pants in comparison - still given the chances of blowing up day one this might be all a little academic - ho hum!:-|

Yer right you know! I'll stick the hedge ones on now. As for blowing up, the light that burns twice as bright burns half as long. But otherwise, yeah, sucks to be you. :-P My advice? You go girl! Use it up!

I also added your hand made ankle boots and edited the Journal to reflect they aren't 'dainty shoes'.

#35 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:28

Tomb-2001

Just read your notes on my character sheet again - all fine - but please could you clarify 'Aethyric Sensitivity' by me again - so when I am sucked screaming in to the fetid pits of chaos I(or at least my OOC)understands why?

I have understood this talent as;

• +20% on my channelling test;

• +20% on a magic sense test;

However

'+ 1d10 TZC' - Am I then rolling 3d10 every time I try to cast (ie - 1 for cast, 1 hedge magic + 1 extra for 'Aethyric Sensitivity')? Or is it just 2d10 with the extra hedge magic die being the same as the AS die?

'+ 20% Detected Using Magic' - Is this that anyone looking/ sensing for magic use gains a +20% perception test against me - do you need to have magic sense to perceive magic use or can anyone have ago?

Cheers

#36 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:28

Otvem
Majoor Majoor

Thank you so very much for reminding me why I never played Wizardy folk in my golden haydays:-D

#37 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:29

Tomb-2001

It gets even worse as you approach your golden years - one roll of the dice and this could be the shortest lived PC in history!

#38 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:29

Otvem
Majoor Majoor

LOL just entered my forties last week so I have some time yet :-D

#39 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:30

Snotling
Save the Snotlings!
Website

I'll join you in about a month and a half :-(

#40 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:30

Tomb-2001

Glad to know I'm only a couple of years ahead of you - its not the age but the mileage that really hurts!

#41 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:32

Grognard
Spergelord

Just read your notes on my character sheet again - all fine - but please could you clarify 'Aethyric Sensitivity' by me again - so when I am sucked screaming in to the fetid pits of chaos I(or at least my OOC)understands why?

I made this up, because I wanted you to be potent (but clueless) and far more likely to explode at random. At least until such a time as you get some schooling (of any sort, good bad or ugly) or move in to another career etc. I made all this sorcery stuff up based on early Warhammer, when it was a bit more Forgotten Realms like. That said, in fairness, it is a long established convention: the idea of natural born wizards vs book learned ones. And how dangerous they are etc. Just wanted to bring it over to this setting.

On reflection, I kinda hoisted this on you. Not all Hedge Wizards are natural born Sorcerers obviously (I really need to start using Sorcerer because its confusing calling them Wizards isn't it). You can just be a rogue magick user like all the others if you want. It won't make it any more likely that you will not be burned alive, but it will make it less likely to happen accidentally or soon. Given Betta's age, she's well past the point of return when it comes to the Magisters anyway. The fact she has made it to 29, actually, would suggest she has either been repressing her talents for some time or hasn't been in the big stink very long. Up to you ..

I have understood this talent as;

• +20% on my channelling test;

• +20% on a magic sense test;

Yes, exactly it. Betta has a natural (think Jedi), instinctive sensitivity to the Winds. She might not conceptualize it as remotely like that of course. She might see colours, auras, experience smells, visual/auditory hallucinations or other bizarre supernatural phenomenon. She can fairly effortlessly channel and probably enjoys it, feels a thrill pinching and containing the energies. Depending on how you see her personality of course. As a 'Wizard' she has never had formal training, only the advice of her grandmother. Who herself only had the advice of whoever tutored her etc. I like to think of it as people who develop a way of doing something by subconsciously picking up on the under-current; feelings, inflection, momentum, seeing the symmetry in things. Like an autistic child and arguably, also, it is very Zen in it's own somewhat perilous fashion. To formalize, rote learn, moralise, objectify, constrain, transcribe and/or give abstract concepts primacy as a way to rationalize something that 'just is', well, is just utterly incomprehensible to Sorcerers. They can of course, adapt to this and some do, but they will never be 'limited' by it and its what makes them so dangerous. Few that are indoctrinated in to the Colour Colleges survive the process unless they are caught very, very young. 

However

'+ 1d10 TZC' - Am I then rolling 3d10 every time I try to cast (ie - 1 for cast, 1 hedge magic + 1 extra for 'Aethyric Sensitivity')? Or is it just 2d10 with the extra hedge magic die being the same as the AS die?

I may be mistaken, but if you have 1 MP you get 1d10 for casting rolls and then you add +1, +2 for ingredients/channeling to that roll. You don't add extra dice. Hedge Magic does not give you an additional d10 as far as I can tell. Hedge is just petty magic without the formal term. Are you using the WFRP2e rules or MadAffred's stuff?

So for Betta, right now, with 1 MP you would add 1d10 even though you only have 1 MP. The extra comes from your innate ability/sensitivity as a Sorcerer. I determined you are subject to Tzeentch's Curse, even though in rules terms, you aren't because you aren't using Arcane Magick. That's because your sensitivity, your instinctive understanding of magick, means you are already operating on that level (just not in that fashion). Even without the awareness of it. Again, this is what is so dangerous about Sorcerers. You're freaks, arguably Chaos tainted/corrupted by implication of simply existing. At least that's the official line ..

'+ 20% Detected Using Magic' - Is this that anyone looking/ sensing for magic use gains a +20% perception test against me - do you need to have magic sense to perceive magic use or can anyone have ago?

Nope anyone can. It is situational though. Common folk don't know what the hell magick is anymore; for most pulling rabits out of hats is Darkness Personified if the Church of Sigmar tells them so. It seems likely, then, that they're only likely to respond with extra aggression if they perceive Betta as a witch or shape shifting changeling daemon ravager in their midst. Unless of course, they're yokels or grew up around a village wise man or woman who healed the sick and made tooth aches go away. Most of which would have been alchemical relief, but some would know it was always a little more than that. That doesn't mean they aren't going to be pathologically opposed to it, or religious fanatics etc. Even if their own family has the Wyrd in the gene pool.

I'd say for gameplay purposes, be circumspect and sparing in your application - but in character terms, you probably won't very successfully hide what you are in such a densely populated area for very long. It isn't a vocation for you, its literally what you are. A cold-blooded character, bent on survival at all costs, like some kind of TV serial killer, would probably determine that anyone who'd seen too much would have to go. Down a hole. Fast. I leave it up to you how to handle, or mishandle, this going forward. :-)

Magick users, or any with Sensitivity or Attunement, will know instantly that you are a practitioner. It might, however, take them a moment or two to realize that you aren't practicing the way they've been taught. Which, taken in isolation, is nothing exceptional: there are orders within orders within orders. Overt, covert, subvert. The one universal thing is that all Magisters know about Sorcerers, Wizards, Witches, Shamans (w/e word you care to apply) and all but the most arrogant know they are not all slobbering agents of Chaos. The thing is, anyone can learn Arcane or Divine or Dark magick. Literally anyone. Its even easier if they hear the whisperings and receive the blessings of Dark Masters. Otherwise, its just study and application.

The world is full of rogue magick users of every kind. Just because the Empire says magick is only for Colour Magisters, doesn't mean a thing in The Border Princes, Tilea, Estalia, Bretonnia, Arabay etc. Teclis never visited them! Each culture will have its own conventions. Necromancy for example, being familiar with the history of Nagash, you'll know that predates Colour magick, which was itself designed by Teclis purely as a way to contain and limit human magick use. The individual Winds are not inherently evil, per se, no more so than the divine magick of Morr or Manann etc. Its just that humans are too short lived, too corruptible and too egocentric - in the purview of the Elves - to be trusted with them. He's probably right! Anyway: its just not allowed. Or taught. Because Teclis said so and anyone who disagrees with Teclis, disagrees with the Word of Sigmar's Successors. And anyone who disagrees with the Word of Sigmar (even the ones His Holy Church dream up) is, by and large, burned alive.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the Colleges of Magic were only founded by Teclis approximately 200 years ago after the Second Great Chaos Incursion (which really should be on the timeline derp!). So there exists within the Old World a dual and complex culture of hysteria and confusion about magick. On the one hand there is the Imperial Authority that says one thing, even though blatantly revisionist, and backs that up with ruthless brutality, and on the other there are the collective memories of a thousand or more years of traditional magick use within the lands of the Empire. The New Way is not novel or fresh, being five or more generations at least since it was implemented, but its still fighting to impose its ideaology on the commons. This is mostly being achieved by religious subversion and promoting hysterical and often irrational terrors and intolerance as piety. Especially in the vast rural provinces. If you can imagine the hold the Catholic Church had on people's imaginations for two thousand years - and they didn't even have real Chaos horrors to point to as evidence of their 'infallible truth'. In short: Magick is taboo now, is ruthlessly suppressed and ritualized and contained. But it wasn't always thus!

Here's an excerpt from MadAlfred's spin on it:

By the time of Emperor Boris Goldgatherer, the lack of quality (patrician) individuals seeking to enter the religious ranks in the Empire forced the cults to actively recruit from among the offspring of the less affluent classes.  The Empire’s religious leaders knew of the Emperor’s lust for money and suggested that he could seize their considerable wealth for his own coffers by simply denouncing sorcery as heresy.  Those accused would then need to forfeit their assets to the Imperial state in order to prove their “innocence,” while any found guilty were executed.  Many wizards were slaughtered or fled the country in the resulting oppression.  A small number went underground to form secret societies so they could continue their arcane studies.  These brave souls were able to avoid discovery long enough for the Black Plague to sweep away the Emperor and the hypocritical High Priests of the powerful religious cults.

It was not until the Age of Wars that some of the Wizards were able to come out of hiding in the Empire and find their services valued once again.

In other parts of the Old World, wizardry was also put to the test.  The collapse of order in Estalia and Tilea following the Black Plague in the early 12th century and the Arabian crusade in 16th century created harsh conditions for most wizards.  The influence of the unforgiving cult of Solkan (centred in Remas) and the existence of extreme Verenan cults in Estalia were not quite as devastating as the later events in the Empire.

An incident in 20th century Middenheim triggered the eight years long Wizard’s War (from 1983 to 1991 I.C).  Fear of the growing number of necromancers and daemonologists erupted into the violent suppression of sorcery that made the deprivation of Emperor Boris pale in comparison.  Large numbers of wizards were hunted down and slaughtered like rabid animals on nothing more than a suspicion that they were practicing dark magic.  Those who escaped the carnage took on new identities and careers in faraway places much like their predecessors in the 12th century.  This time, the Witch Hunters were even more relentless, heeding the call to arms by the leaders of the cults of Mórr, Sigmar, and Ulric.

Much of the lore of wizardry was forever lost as a result of the war against wizards.  Some wizards buried their grimoires and enchanted items in secret places in the vain hope of recovering these again in the near future.  In addition, the cult of Verena undertook the dangerous task of recovering all it could of the wizard’s books and scrolls in order to place these in its secret libraries before the other cults of the Empire could burn them.  Official Imperial history was largely re-written to expunge all references to sorcery and its role in serving the Empire in its glorious past.

When Magnus called forth the power of the Empire to fight against the Chaos incursion of 2302 I.C., the surviving wizardry orders did not step forward, unlike the naive and self-taught Hedge wizards who did.  Many of the secret societies of wizards fought the Chaos enemies in a ferocious and unrelenting secret war.  Having learned from history, these wizards had no intent to fight in the open and expose themselves to further suppression.

After the war, Emperor Magnus requested the services of Teclis to train Colour Magic to the most talented Hedgewizards in the land.  Many of the hidden wizards realised that the Elven Mage had the power to expose them in his search for worthy apprentices.  They fled to the safety of Tilea and remote parts of the Empire until the Elf had his students.  In small numbers, wizards slowly returned to the Empire in the years after Teclis opened the Colour Colleges in Altdorf, satisfied that his attention was occupied by his new charges and desire to return to Ulthuan.

Unlike the situation in the Empire, wizards are able to work openly in the southern Old World as well as Marienburg.  There are laws that restrict the actual use of magic in many urban areas, but licenses are easily obtained and there is little fear of widespread efforts to crush them out of existence.

The only important thing to bear in mind is that Betta is a rarity in that she was born with her third eye open. Nobody has ever had to teach her how to channel the Winds. She just can: she doesn't see only Amber, or Red etc. Apart from being a rogue magick practitioner, as above, she's also a natural born Sorcerer. That's the Aethyric Sensitivity bit I've added in. Maybe one of her ancestors was a refugee, a hideout, from the purges. Maybe she's just the latest in a long line in her family with the Sorcerous gift.

Anyway: Only someone else like her would likely spot that distinction and as far as the authorities are concerned, if you aren't a card carrying Magister or protected by an organization with clout, you're an agent of the Ruinous Powers regardless of how much of a rarity and you will be hunted down and destroyed.

Also re: your concerns about exploding. You don't have to use all your MP d10's when trying to cast. You will always have to roll the additional dice forced upon you by Sensitivity (so that's minimum 2), but if you gain additional MP in the future, you can always choose not to roll any number of those additional dice when trying to cast. Don't forget you have 3 fate points and can always buy more.

Magick is a maligned but imho very fun way to play this game: you decide how you manage the risk. How critical is it to cast at that moment? Are you using magick where brute force could be applied instead? How much will you invest in making it succeed etc. I'm going to speculate that a lot of Wizards will have either acolytes or henchmen aplenty to compensate for their shortcomings in this area.

BTW: Since I am just mind farting this guff, please anyone, feel free to suggest its dumb/bad or w/e. I'm totally open to re-thinking it. :-) Especially if it can be made more fun!

#42 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:34

Tsamados

Grognard I've noticed a couple of things wrong with my characters PDF. Firstly he's listed as having a net I remember going for the lasso option when asked. Also under equipment he doesn't have any armour, I believe he should have a leather jack? Hopefully this won't be to much of a pain in the butt to correct, if it is forget it.

#43 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:35

Grognard
Spergelord

Grognard I've noticed a couple of things wrong with my characters PDF. Firstly he's listed as having a net I remember going for the lasso option when asked. Also under equipment he doesn't have any armour, I believe he should have a leather jack? Hopefully this won't be to much of a pain in the butt to correct, if it is forget it.

Good spot. Apologies! Good news though: he gets a net and a whip or lasso. So you get both, although I haven't marked the lasso on grr. Also yes, he does get a leather jack which I will add. :-D The net I think will be rolled up and stowed in a leather pouch. Its pretty ridiculous really how you don't get backpacks and sling bags or in your case, saddle bags, and stuff. Makes it hard to write a convincing scene heh.

Oh, there is also 10 yards of rope. I will be sneaky and make that the lasso. Seems illogical to carry both a lasso and 10 yards of rope. Unless you feel I am jewing you out of 10 yards of rope, we'll just assume its good quality stuff that is both light enough for throwing and strong enough to take a man's weight. Which will be really useful when you need to hang some peasants. :-P

I've updated your sheet and armour values. I will also edit the journal to include the lasso.

PS: You should get an Avatar. :-P

#44 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:35

Tomb-2001

Thanks for the comprehensive response.

I am more than fine with inclusion of the TZC and extra die (I had understood the same from the 2e rule description of the 'Hedge Magic Talent' which contradicts the reference to arcane magic under the explanation of TZC later on - this sounds like I am a rule geek which I am not, although there probably a site out there for inconsistences in WFRP 2e rules for them that want it!).

Given the open and undisciplined use of 'the winds' Hedge Magic entails this all seems a pretty logical conclusion.

Character-wise - Betta's Granny having survived to relative old age herself ensured Betta understood that the things she could do were 'special' and how and why she needed to keep them secret from 'normal' people.

Betta grew up in a relatively 'normal' and secure (although overly protective) family setting - with Granny making sure everything was kept under control and allaying her parents' fears. This dynamic changed when Granny disappeared and Betta left home to 'go travelling' to protect her parents - if they had been invented, she could read/ write and afford the price of a stamp she would probably be sending them postcards.

Therefore although Betta is aware she is 'different' from others and her 'special' abilities are very much part of her being - she is far from defined by just her magic. She see's herself equally and if not more so as Bett the Cobbler's daughter (sounds like a limerick...anyone?) she is socially unaware and a little cooky due to her sheltered upbringing and is also defined by other significant non-magic skills such as her healing ability(which in reality is her most potent skill).

In game play Betta is unlikely to be using magic extensively or lightly - This is made easier by the petty hedge magic spell selection - anyone need a candle lighting? No? I can blow them out as well?

#45 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:37

Grognard
Spergelord

Thanks for the comprehensive response.

I am more than fine with inclusion of the TZC and extra die (I had understood the same from the 2e rule description of the 'Hedge Magic Talent' which contradicts the reference to arcane magic under the explanation of TZC later on - this sounds like I am a rule geek which I am not, although there probably a site out there for inconsistences in WFRP 2e rules for them that want it!).

I think its the distinction between Petty and Arcane and Divine Lore/s. If you wanted to be a Colour Magister you'd need to learn the Arcane language and that, apparently, is the domain of Tzeentch. Its not clear anyway, to me certainly. Most of the 2e rules feel a little rushed at times. Its a shame that they have to make a profit these companies, instead of just making the best and most comprehensive sourcebooks they can its all drip fed and spun off etc.

Given the open and undisciplined use of 'the winds' Hedge Magic entails this all seems a pretty logical conclusion.

Character-wise - Betta's Granny having survived to relative old age herself ensured Betta understood that the things she could do were 'special' and how and why she needed to keep them secret from 'normal' people.

Betta grew up in a relatively 'normal' and secure (although overly protective) family setting - with Granny making sure everything was kept under control and allaying her parents' fears. This dynamic changed when Granny disappeared and Betta left home to 'go travelling' to protect her parents - if they had been invented, she could read/ write and afford the price of a stamp she would probably be sending them postcards.

Therefore although Betta is aware she is 'different' from others and her 'special' abilities are very much part of her being - she is far from defined by just her magic. She see's herself equally and if not more so as Bett the Cobbler's daughter (sounds like a limerick...anyone?) she is socially unaware and a little cooky due to her sheltered upbringing and is also defined by other significant non-magic skills such as her healing ability(which in reality is her most potent skill).

In game play Betta is unlikely to be using magic extensively or lightly - This is made easier by the petty hedge magic spell selection - anyone need a candle lighting? No? I can blow them out as well?

LOL. Yeah the selection is rubbish isn't it? I'm going to have to dig up some more spells from the various official and fan made supplements for you to find laying around somewhere. Also, sorry, sheesh, I retconned in like another 500 words to that post since you replied .. I was so busy sperging all over the place I didn't see this for 45 mins! :-D

Re: the mail, there is definitely mail. My take on the setting is more 15th century than 10th. There will be mail, correspondence, documentation and literacy down to the lower middle classes.

All the character stuff sounds good, you don't need to go too mad with it in fairness. The style of the gameplay doesn't really take much of your character's inner self or past in to account; except where it comes calling and affects others. That's why I (even though I don't really understand the implications yet) love this method of playing in the narrative form ahead of jerking off in thoughts and feeling type posts. So far anyway! :-D

#46 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:38

Tsamados

OK thanks for the update. I'm still hunting around for a good outrider avatar, tough ask:-D

#47 Sunday, 5th October 2014 23:39

Grognard
Spergelord

OK thanks for the update. I'm still hunting around for a good outrider avatar, tough ask:-D

Looks good. :-D

Board footer