Spergelord

The Oldenhaller Contract (5)

Waldermar (38) + 3 = 41
Franz (34) + 3 = 37
Dieter (29) + 5 = 34
Siegfried (31) + 2 = 33
Katalin (26) + 7 = 32
Betta (24) + 7 = 31

Waldermar (Haggle) (Grolsch van Eyke) Waldermar FEL = (28). 2d10-10% (Grolsch is an expert haggler) = 46 (56)
Result: 2 degrees of failure.

Waldermar (Common Knowledge) (Hallur/Nuln) Waldermar INT = 31. 2d10+10% (Native knowledge bonus) = 40 (30)
Result: 1 degree of success

Waldermar will know that the man referred to as Hallur is likely a member of the Oldenhaller family, the current head of which is Herr Albrecht Oldenhaller. The Oldenhallers maintain an estate in the exclusive Aldig district and Albrecht himself sits on the city Mercantile Council and therefore is a very influential man indeed. The Oldenhallers themselves are not aristocrats but are certainly wealthy enough to mix with and even marry in to such elites. They are very numerous and very much old money and have been 'legitimate' merchants, bankers and artisans for generations.

He does not know what the 'rock' is, but a 'rock' in Nulner slang is usually a gemstone of some kind. Having recently arrived in the city he does not know anything about the reward or how it came to be lost in the first place.

Siegfried (Gossip) (Gustav) Siegfried FEL = (24). 2d10-10% (Untrained basic skill) = 12 (22)
Result: 1 degree of success.

Gustav doesn't know if Diedtz is 'hiring' but he does tell you that he employs three Dwarf henchmen who are notoriously vicious little bastards (present company accepted of course) and that Diedtz 'dresses em funny'. If Siegfried wants to try and talk to Harry about it, he'll suggest you come back tomorrow as Harry is a regular barfly.

You can all choose to eavesdrop in on this conversation to save time if you prefer.

Katalin (Intimidate) (Grolsch van Eyke) Katalin STR = 31. 2d10+10% (Grolsch is already unsettled by Katalin's staring) -10% (Untrained Basic Skill) = 12 (12)
Result: 2 degrees of success

Notes:

Its also approaching kicking-out time (around 1:30 am) and after the next turn Gustav will ring the bell and start kicking people out. The place has already emptied by about 50% since the scuffle with the black shirts. The blonde woman has gone, strong armed out the door by the sell sword. The fat man is being helped to his feet by his young associate and they will be heading for the exit (past Dieter and Franz) next turn.

I have also updated the Dramatis Personae.

I am to nerds what nerds are to normal people.

#2 Monday, 6th October 2014 13:23

Rafen

Re: The Oldenhaller Contract (5)

<Katalin>

Well, now that we've got a room sorted for the night I say we move off and get an early start on this bauble tomorrow. The reward could be very helpful

#3 Monday, 6th October 2014 13:23

Grognard
Spergelord

If nobody has anything else to add we can just advance the scene at this point. I left it open in case you did, or wanted to ask anything else etc. If not just let me know. Won't force you to say goodnight Walton style or anything. :-P Likewise don't feel rushed, if there's more you want to do, clarify, say etc.

I'm still learning and getting a feel for when to drag things out and when to just .. not. lol. I think we could probably have done all of the current scene in maybe half the time with hindsight. Will definitely try to condense more in the future.

Also now is a good time to get your feedback on how its gone. Stuff you would prefer to change, do differently, avoid etc. Anything goes. 8-D Oh and I also really didn't help things but shitting myself for 4 days producing .. this horrible grey mess of a theme wlol. Sorry about that!

My two cents:

As I mentioned I also think I could have moved things on faster/better/more efficiently. But given it was the opening scene and we're all new to this and each other, I think we did OK there. We got the hook for one adventure at least.

My only suggestion going forward would be to be a bit more pro-active with information gathering, engaging with the environment, NPC's, gossiping, intimidating, bribing etc. I'm going to run the entire game entirely from the dice. I really don't want to pre-determine any NPC's response to anything. I want to make it your sandbox to play in.

I did notice that an issue might arise with multiple attempts to charm/intimidate NPC's etc. So what I'll do is start adding on multipliers for brute forcing in that fashion based on degrees of failure.

Also nobody seemed too interested in the other two hooks: fat man and blonde. That's fine, obviously, but you could have milked some coin from both of those (without spoilers). :-P

Summary of plot stuff(tm) so far:

Grolsch is taking you to a boarding house run by a woman called Ingrid who may or may not be mad (bonus for you I guess). This isn't the place he wanted to take you but after Betta charmed the nuts off Gustav, there was a change of plan. Again not sure if that's a good thing or not. You're going to pay 100 bits collectively for that to Grolsch, who presumably will pass on some or all of that to Ingrid? So best decide how you're paying in advance. Or I'll just deduct it from your char sheets etc. Some of you are literally broke now after buying beer lol.

In terms of what you've discovered: Harry was being hassled by black coats, apparently in the employ of Diedtz, although its not clear how that is the case. Diedtz is apparently affiliated with the University but sidelines in shady practices and uses Dwarf bully boys. He wants a particular gem, which he claims is his personal property, and Gustav thinks that in fact he's after the Hallur heirloom; a reward for the retrieval of which is apparently 'common knowledge' to the denziens of Nuln.

Hallur is probably referring to Albrecht Oldenhaller, a prominent citizen and a member of the ruling mercantile elite.

So your to-do list might include: surviving the night at 'mad' Ingrid's. Then tomorrow you're going to track down some or all of the following: Harry, Diedtz, Oldenhaller? You're all going to be pretty much broke after this so paying work would be good. I would also be thinking about where you are going to sleep tomorrow. And if a base of operations is something worth working on (or not).

#4 Monday, 6th October 2014 13:24

Snotling
Save the Snotlings!
Website

the pace is fine.

My suggestion on dealing multiple people charming the npc, is to use the initiative order and let the first character go. The other can help.

Deiter agrees with Katalin. He'll bundle up our things and prepare for the trek to the boarding house.

#5 Monday, 6th October 2014 13:25

Grognard
Spergelord

Good idea about using initiative Snot. Cheers. :-)

My impression of your characters so far:

Franz is probably a murderhobo. I wonder how many he's 'sent to Morr' already.

Betta is that cooky one who always ends up a bunny boiling hysteric that rattles your door at 4 am every night, and sobs and wails in the corridor if she isn't let in.

Waldermar got lots of hugs and positive encouragement growing up and probably came first at everything in school.

Dieter just respects the fish. Gives no fucks about much else really. Even when giving no fucks.

Siegfried doesn't believe the Empire is a country, just a business. And he wants to be paid.

Katalin might hear voices, or just the voices of his other personalities. Has serial killer eyes.

#6 Monday, 6th October 2014 13:26

Tsamados

I'm happy to move the scene on, it seems like a natural point. Waldermar will relay what he knows about the Oldenhaller's to the others.

#7 Monday, 6th October 2014 13:26

Rafen

And there Katalin was thinking they were the ancestor gods he was listening to

#8 Monday, 6th October 2014 13:27

Tomb-2001

<Betta>

Gathers her things together, slips on her hood and gets ready to depart - she looks over Grolsch and the other four newcomers to see what she can determine from their appearance/ mannerisms. [perception/ common knowledge - the empire]

OCC: Betta is naturally suspicious of strangers seeing them all as a potential threat therefore will generaly give everyone a once over looking for any signs of danger.

Additionally I see her hood as more of a snood not the pointy 'look at me I am a witch' type!

#9 Monday, 6th October 2014 13:27

Thorgal
Murder Hobo

<Franz>

He is picking up his gear and he makes sure that his handweapons are easily accesable and ready to draw when that is needed.
Waiting for the group and grolsch to move out of the pub.

OOC: Grolsch is a Dutch beer brand.....

#10 Monday, 6th October 2014 13:28

Grognard
Spergelord

<Betta>

Gathers her things together, slips on her hood and gets ready to depart - she looks over Grolsch and the other four newcomers to see what she can determine from their appearance/ mannerisms. [perception/ common knowledge - the empire]

OCC: Betta is naturally suspicious of strangers seeing them all as a potential threat therefore will generaly give everyone a once over looking for any signs of danger.

RGR. I'll post in delib for turn 6. :-)

Additionally I see her hood as more of a snood not the pointy 'look at me I am a witch' type!

Haha yeah: How do you know she is a witch... she looks like one!

<Franz>

He is picking up his gear and he makes sure that his handweapons are easily accesable and ready to draw when that is needed.
Waiting for the group and grolsch to move out of the pub.

OOC: Grolsch is a Dutch beer brand.....

Once again pointing and frowning at the guy who wrote the Oldenhaller Contract lol.

I guess they were just having a laugh when they wrote that. Back in the Olden Tymes (tm). Was probably considered genuinely hilarious in 1986. =-D

#11 Monday, 6th October 2014 13:28

Grognard
Spergelord

Locked for update!

Board footer