Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Play by Post Games

Interactive fiction in the Old World

You are not logged in.

#1 Saturday, 11th October 2014 15:00

Grognard
Spergelord

The Oldenhaller Contract (8)

That went well ..

Ok this one is a bit of a beast post, sorry! Also not being hugely familiar with the rules slows me down a lot. Sheesh. Hopefully I didn't make too many mistakes!

First I wasn't sure after all this time if the initiative order in the last thread was for this turn or last turn. I guessed this turn but I re-rolled them anyway and they came out more or less the same so nbd.

Here are the results for all characters and npcs combined and sorted:

Hag:1D10+39 => 45
Franz: 1D10+34 => 43
Siegfried: 1D10+36 => 43
Mutant(1R)  1D10+31 => 42
Waldermar:  1D10+38 => 42
Mutant(1L)  1D10+31 => 39
Mutant(2L)   1D10+31 => 38
Katalin: 1D10+26 => 36
Tumor Face: 1D10+31 => 36
Dieter: 1D10+29 => 34
Mutant(2R)  1D10+31 => 33
Betta: 1D10+24 => 29

Action summary:

Hag casts The Icy Grip of Death.
Hag MAGICK = 2d10+2(Channelling half action)+2(Ingredient: A thorn bushel) = 16 (2/10)
A further half action is required to complete the invocation.

Franz N/A

Siegfried: Prepare Crossbow (full action)

Mutant (1R) move (HA) and attack (HA) Katalin with hand weapon.
Mutant WEAPON SKILL = 31
Mutant rolls 2d10+0 = 18
Result: 1 degree of success

Katalin parries (free action w/ shield)
Katalin WEAPON SKILL = 46
Katalin rolls 2d10+0 = 15
Result: Katalin easily parries the blow.

Waldermar charges Mutant (1L) with hand weapon.
Waldermar WEAPON SKILL = 41
Waldermar rolls 2d10+5% (Warrior Born)+10% (Charging) = -2 (lol)
Result: Waldermar easily hits Mutant
Roll hit location: Head (09)
Waldermar rolls 1d10 (Damage) + 3 (SB) = 10+3
Ulric's Fury!
Waldermar rolls 2d10+5% (Warrior Born)+10% (Charging) = 21
Waldermar rolls 1d10 (Damage) + 3 (SB) = 4+3
Mutant TB = 3
Result: Mutant suffers 18 wounds and is decapitated in spectacular fashion.

Mutant 2L charges Waldermar with hand weapon.
Mutant WEAPON SKILL = 31
Mutant rolls 2d10+10% = 12
Result: Mutant hits Waldermar easily

Waldermar parries (free action w/ shield)
Waldermar WEAPON SKILL = 41
Waldermar rolls 2d10+5% (Warrior Born) = 80
Result: Waldermar fails to parry the blow.

Mutant rolls 1d10(Damage) + 3 (SB) = 10+3
Ulric's Fury!
Mutant rolls 2d10 = 25
Mutant rolls 1d10(Damage) + 3 (SB) = 3+3
Roll hit location: Head (14)
Waldermar TB = 3
Waldermar loses 16 wounds.
Waldermar suffers a CRITICAL HIT to the HEAD.
Waldermar rolls 1d10 on Critical Effects Table = 7
Result: Knocked out for 1 d10 minutes* = 8 (2 turns**)
*Uses the Sudden Death rules for any further critical hits.
** Uses House Rules for Shock & Unconsciousness (see below)

Waldermar gains 1 INSANITY POINT.

Dieter moves (HA) to attack (HA) Mutant 2L with spear (quick)
Dieter WEAPON SKILL = 31
Dieter rolls 2d10 = 13
Result: Dieter hits mutant

Dieter rolls 1d10(Damage) + 3 (SB) = 5+3
Mutant TB = 3
Result: Mutant suffers 5 wounds (6 remaining).

Notes:

Katalin didn't get to use his line of dialog 'aim high', which can be inserted next turn if you wish. ;)

After all the chat about being true to character and trying to be realistic, I figured Franz was going to be shaken up and not really in the game this turn. That can change next turn depending on how things turn out (eep).

Dieter cursing Franz was a bit naughty, but I figured he wouldn't be too impressed with the situation and it sounded good. If you'd prefer I don't do that in the future, little bits here and there, pipe up and I won't. ;) Also Dieter was supposed to be defending, but again since Waldermar was knocked down, I think Snotling made it clear that he was going to try and cover that eventuality, so had him advance and attack the mutant rather than sit back and let it tear him to pieces.

Mutant 2R (The one behind the one attacking Katalin) chose not to do anything this turn. Partly because she can't get past the one in front and partly because her weapon is pretty useless at the moment.

The Hag has been casting all turn, I just added it in at the end for dramatic effect.

Now the biggie: Waldermar could have used a Fate Point to avoid being knocked down. It occurred to me though that there's two things I never considered about Fate Points and this medium. 1. I'd really like to avoid having to re-write endlessly every time there's a fight 2. You therefore can't reasonably react to something post-facto. So what I decided was, going forward, we should specify if we want to 'auto burn' Fate Points under certain circumstances. Since they are so precious I think I'll let you all specify what they may be ie. serious injury, incapacitation etc. I like that because there will be times when you'd use a Fate Point at a gaming table without giving it a second thought, but here, its a lot more brutal because you won't and will have to roll with the blows. I honestly think that rather than being supremely sadistic, it can make things more fun and challenging .. but you may disagree.

The reason I don't want to go for a system of posting up results and seeking approval for changes etc. is just that it would make the game impossibly slow. As if it isn't already slow enough!

Repost of the rules for this:

Shock & Unconsciousness

When you go from Lightly Wounded (more than 3 wounds remaining) to Heavily Wounded (fewer than 3 wounds remaining) you suffer 'Shock'. You must spend a half action to grit your teeth and clear your mind before doing anything else - incuding defending yourself! You automatically succeed as long as you are not interrupted. You only suffer Shock once per battle.
When you reach 0 wounds you become unconscious. This is in contradiction to the vanilla rule that you can keep fighting on 0 wounds! Whilst unconscious you are totally prone and obviously cannot defend yourself against ongoing attacks with assailants gaining +30 and +1d10 to attack rolls and damage against prone targets (no automatic hits).
The character remains unconscious until such a time as they can receive additional healing to restore wounds above zero whereupon they can spend a half action to get to their feet and continue to fight or they suffer additional critical hits whilst prone and are killed; whichever comes first. Only fully conscious characters may eat rations although they can imbibe draughts if someone shoves it down their throat. Fate points can be spent as per usual to buy re-rolls.

Also a final note on the House Rules re: weapon and armor degredation. I'm not applying them for this fight as its already looking hard enough without your hand weapons breaking in two. :P

I am to nerds what nerds are to normal people.

#2 Sunday, 12th October 2014 15:07

Snotling
Save the Snotlings!
Website

Re: The Oldenhaller Contract (8)

Looks good so far.

Dieter will continue to protect this fallen friend, Waldermar.  Use the spear to push the mutants back to give his friend some room.  Looking to an opportune time to jab.

How far away is the Hag?

#3 Sunday, 12th October 2014 16:02

Grognard
Spergelord

Hag is approx 60 ft (20 yards) from you. She is standing next to Tumor Face who is holding a torch which illuminates the far end of the alley enough to see that there are more mutants milling about back there.

The intervening space is shrouded in shifting shadows, gloom and outright darkness thanks to the lack of a light source your end. Grolsch's little travel lantern having spilled its guts and burned off most of the oil already is just about effective enough to ruin your night vision.

Only Katalin can see in to the darkness and the smoke and fog are not helping him in this regard much either.

Waldermar is about 8 ft in front of the gate, next to the remains of the mutant he decapitated. The corpses of the mutant and Grolsch are close enough for there to be a slippery mess of gore and .. other fluids .. coating the alley at your end.

Katalin is holding off the mutant with the chain 4-5ft in front of the gate and is about 3ft behind and to the left of Dieter.

The mutant Dieter wounded fell back and Dieter is currently keeping it at arms length with his spear. There is enough of a gap between Katalin and Dieter for it to be a concern that Dieter might be flanked or cut off if he advances any further.

There is at least one more mutant behind it you have not yet seen which may make an aggressive move in the next turn.

The Hag doesn't seem too concerned about her minions potentially being hit by the spell she is about to unleash.

#4 Sunday, 12th October 2014 17:21

Snotling
Save the Snotlings!
Website

More behind the hag!  Augh!

In that case we need a fall back position and should drag Waldermar to safety.   We just have the gate with the barking dogs (iirc) behind us..

Need to get the dogs out and us in.. without them attacking us.

#5 Sunday, 12th October 2014 21:56

Tomb-2001

Arrrgh!

Given her superior initiative the Hag is going to be able to cast her foul spell anyway - but i suggest Siegfried takes a shot at her.

Agree re: swapping positions with the dogs - we need a key or the approaching footsteps to arrive pronto and be very friendly!

If Grosch had a key he would not have needed to ring the bell so no point wasting time searching him yet - still Dieter, Katalin and Siegfried between Betta and mutants therefore suggest she spends at least one more round raising the alarm and begging for help from anyone arriving at the gate before needing to consider more direction/ desperate actions!

#6 Sunday, 12th October 2014 22:10

Grognard
Spergelord

Hehe. It must be a particularly looooong driveway Ingrid has there, eh? I mean I'm sure the Duke of Gloucester has a pretty decent one as well, but surely not one that takes a year to traverse.
She should probably feed the dogs more too. Poor things.

I was wondering if you fancied trying one of those 'magickal duels' I keep reading about in Warhammer fluff Tomb? Apparently its some sort of  (fairly deadly) contest of wills. Might be fun to play through .. Ravenor is doing them all the time, I hear. Alpha Plus Plus that one though. Maybe we could take Betta's reading? ;)

There's no rules per se. I could whip some up if you're game.

PS: Will re-roll initiative every turn. So there's a chance Hag might not come out on top next turn.

PPS: Still haven't heard from Rafen, so may have to start looking for someone to take him over.

#7 Sunday, 12th October 2014 22:53

Tomb-2001

Untrained as she is this is probably not something Betta would likely know how to do or consciously engage in. However, if in serious peril she may unconsciously lash out with her mind and find herself engage in such a duel with a other similarly attuned mind or source of the danger.

Maybe Ingrid forgot what she had come out for and went back inside for a nice cup of tea and a biscuit!

#8 Sunday, 12th October 2014 22:57

Grognard
Spergelord

Tomb-2001 wrote:

Untrained as she is this is probably not something Betta would likely know how to do or consciously engage in. However, if in serious peril she may unconsciously lash out with her mind and find herself engage in such a duel with a other similarly attuned mind or source of the danger.

Maybe Ingrid forgot what she had come out for and went back inside for a nice cup of tea and a biscuit!

Boooo! Hiss! Probably the sensible approach though. I guess we can work it in to the game somehow at a more opportune moment. Not sure whats come over me, all this blood n guts has given me an appetite!

Talk of biscuits isn't helping either.. :P

#9 Sunday, 12th October 2014 23:24

Tomb-2001

Grognard wrote:

Boooo! Hiss! Probably the sensible approach though. I guess we can work it in to the game somehow at a more opportune moment. Not sure whats come over me, all this blood n guts has given me an appetite!

Yep sorry to play it so straight - guess she just more Mavis Cruet than Dr Spock!

Wish I hadn't mentioned the biscuits either - will now have to go and find something to eat!

#10 Monday, 13th October 2014 00:29

Grognard
Spergelord

Tomb-2001 wrote:
Grognard wrote:

Yep sorry to play it so straight - guess she just more Mavis Cruet than Dr Spock!

Wish I hadn't mentioned the biscuits either - will now have to go and find something to eat!

lol! FWIW I still have nightmares featuring Evil Edna.

#11 Monday, 13th October 2014 12:11

Grognard
Spergelord

Initiative for next turn will be:

Hag 1D10+39 => 44
Siegfried 1D10+36 => 44
Franz 1D10+34 => 43
Mutant (2R) 1D10+31 => 38
Dieter 1D10+29 => 37
Betta 1D10+24 => 32
Mutant (1R) 1D10+31 => 33
Tumor Face 1D10+31 => 33
Mutant (2L) 1D10+31 => 32
Katalin 1D10+26 => 27

Ok actions for next turn (see email).

Siegfried will finish loading the crossbow, pausing to scream something suitably motivational at Franz harshly, before taking careful aim at the Hag. Its a long shot but seems the best option given what she is about to unleash.

Franz will charge Wart Face (I figure he can just about reach if we assume Waldermar's charge wasn't the full allotment if Dieter could get there in 1 move last turn).

Katalin will try to finish off the mutant with the chain and hopefully whatever the other mutant is doing it will not be too bad for Dieter.

I'll aim for update Tuesday. ;)

Does anyone want to burn Fate Points this turn if they are seriously injured/incapacitated etc? This would include re-rolls to resist the effects of the spell which would be tested against (checks book) Willpower. Here's the spell blurb btw:

The Icy Grip of Death
Casting Number: 16
Casting Time: Full action
Ingredient: A thorny rose stem (+2)
Description: You use the icy tendrils of Shyish to bind enemies within a target area (48 yards/ 24 squares). Those affected must take a successful Will Power test or be stunned. They can test again at the start of their turn to break death's grip on them. They remain stunned until they make a successful test.

#12 Monday, 13th October 2014 12:34

Snotling
Save the Snotlings!
Website

seriously injured/incapacitated:  yes  to the fate point use.

#13 Monday, 13th October 2014 12:36

Grognard
Spergelord

Snotling wrote:

seriously injured/incapacitated:  yes  to the fate point use.

RGR that Snotters. I edited the post above to include resisting the spell? Yay or nay to that?

#14 Monday, 13th October 2014 21:52

Tomb-2001

Betta's Fate points? Yes if seriously injured/incapacitated etc

She is going to take a chance with the spell this time around - who says she doesn't live (or more likely die) on the edge!

#15 Monday, 13th October 2014 22:05

Grognard
Spergelord

Hehe. I admire your pluck, sir/madam!

So: Dieter is going to drag Waldermar to safety.

Betta is going to continue soliciting help from whoever is coming.

Update tomorrow. ;)

#16 Tuesday, 14th October 2014 01:55

Snotling
Save the Snotlings!
Website

yup yup.

#17 Tuesday, 14th October 2014 18:39

Grognard
Spergelord

Hmm update. I am in fact going out with the mrs tonight.
Apparently I agreed to this last week. In fact, allegedly, it was my idea.
I also offered to pay. Naturally.
Will update tomorrow instead. *roll

#18 Tuesday, 14th October 2014 20:16

Tomb-2001

Sounds like the start of a slippery slope to me ;) Have fun

#19 Tuesday, 14th October 2014 23:56

Grognard
Spergelord

Tomb-2001 wrote:

Sounds like the start of a slippery slope to me ;) Have fun

Do I detect a nervous titter going through the congregation? :P

Titter ye not! For the OP shall surely deliver ..

#20 Wednesday, 15th October 2014 20:29

Grognard
Spergelord

Locked for update!

Board footer