Siegfried: fails!
    Franz: resists!
Mutant (2R): fails!
Dieter: fails!
Betta: fails!
Mutant (1R):  fails!
Mutant (2L) : fails!
    Katalin:  resists!

All afflicted characters take toughness tests or suffer d5 wounds from the fall.

Siegfried suffers 5 wounds. Dieter suffers 4 wounds. Betta passes. I'll update character sheets tomorrow sometime.

I haven't decided yet if I should ask you to take WP tests as well to avoid contracting an insanity point. What do you think?

My reasoning is that magick is supposed to be a myth rather than a reality. Bit like mutants!

I'd like to take a moment to introduce Kaine. You might remember him from such [films, TV shows, dates] as...

He's been patiently waiting almost a year to get stuck in. So it gives me great pleasure to err stick him in.

Kaine will be playing the part of Magnus Kaufmann. FYI that's the young lad who's wondering whether or not you all need to die now. ;)

Welcome, sir!

I am to nerds what nerds are to normal people.

#2 Thursday, 16th October 2014 19:38

Grognard
Spergelord

Re: The Oldenhaller Contract (9)

Kaine appears to be having a life. lol.

Unrelated: Oooh its Italian Week at Lidl again. 49p XL Spaghetti ftw. Gonna get me some of that £6 2012 Côtes de Bourg too I think!
I love the blurb on their website: 'Côtes de Bourg is often an excellent source of inexpensive claret.'
So its often drinkable cheap plonk, but sometimes isn't? Not over selling that shit are they? :)

#3 Thursday, 16th October 2014 20:26

Kaine

A bit of a life... As I have been patiently waiting almost a year I now have a 7 month old boy to contend with!

Oh and I was waiting to see what everyone else had to say before deciding whether to let loose with the crossbow :-)

Hi everyone by the way

#4 Thursday, 16th October 2014 20:29

Grognard
Spergelord

Kaine wrote:

A bit of a life... As I have been patiently waiting almost a year I now have a 7 month old boy to contend with!

Oh and I was waiting to see what everyone else had to say before deciding whether to let loose with the crossbow :-)

Hi everyone by the way

Oh my .. you can literally gestate a child in the time between turns around here. Mind. Blown.

FWIW I'd just kill them all and we can skip to the end. :)

#5 Friday, 17th October 2014 13:48

Tomb-2001

Only 1 down and 2 wounded I think we can call that a victory for the good(ish) guys ;)

Betta can have a go at healing some wounds once things have calmed down (possibly wishful thinking) and we are somewhere less exposed - I assume Waldemar is just down but not bleeding out?

I suggest we launch a charm on young Magnus (Hi Kaine glad you are putting the time between turns to good use!) with the aim to getting us somewhere safe for the night - I hope Grosch wasn't a very good friend of his - such a pity those evil mutants took him out like that! Happy for Betta to have a stab at this if everyone is in agreement (Charm + a reasonable Fel)?

PS - Not to appear too mercenary but we should also remember to fleece Grosch for our money, his lantern and club - it has got to be better than my current stick - the mutants might have something useful also if we get the chance to look.

#6 Friday, 17th October 2014 14:14

Grognard
Spergelord

Waldermar is indeed just unconscious (most fortunate roll on critical table heh). Technically for a few more turns but I don't think anyone is going to be able to carry him anywhere and we'll be moving on to the next scene after this turn I think. So, we'll just assume Dieter will succeed in reviving him enough for two of you to prop him up and haul him inside etc.

Re: Insanity points. I went ahead and gave everyone who was affected by the spell and suffered wounds 1 IP.
So Waldermar, Dieter and Siegfried all now have 1 IP apiece.

Siegfried already re-appropriated your purse of 100 bits from Grolsch and tossed it to Katalin. So he'd have it now.
The lantern glass is cracked but intact, so that's serviceable if you want to take it. You'll need to clean all the blood off though and it is now burned out, so you'd need more oil to re-use it. Anything else Grolsch was carrying will be claimed by the newcomers if they let you live. Along with any/all equipment the mutants had.

The club is no better or worse than the one you have Tomb. Its just a generic leather bound wooden shaft with some hobnails hammered in type hand weapon (bludgeoning). You can take it for sale if you like, but you'd probably only get a few bits for it and it might be recognized as belonging to Grolsch. Up to you ..

I forgot to mention this but you will also now have noticed that Franz has disappeared. I took the opportunity to put him in stasis - I don't really want to be controlling half the characters in every scene etc. You can pursue that IC or not. It might be fun to see if/when/how he makes a re-appearance later on. He left his shovel and his bag of belongings, so you can divvy up any of the stuff on his character sheet if you want it. Except the money and his hand weapon.

Dieter and Siegfried both need medical attention if they are to recover their wounds. Dieter has a fractured rib that will need binding (-20% Agility) and will have considerable bruising tomorrow. Siegfried has lost four teeth from the upper left side of his jaw. The sockets will need cleaning out and the pain will be pretty intense (-20% on all Fellowship and Perception tests) until he gets some kind of analgesic.

Waldermar has a fractured cheekbone and a nasty 5" gash from his crown to the lower left side of his jaw that will need stitching up. His face will be black and brown and swollen for days which will impair his vision out the left side (-20% Fellowship and Perception). He needs at least 8 hrs of bed rest to recover 3 wounds, so with proper attention he'll be up and about tomorrow morning. Either way he's very fortunate to be alive and will have a nasty scar when its all healed up.

I was thinking to stop Tsamados feeling like a total passenger, he could take over Siegfriend or Katalin until then? Up to you!

#7 Friday, 17th October 2014 15:06

Kaine

"Not so fast idiot," Magnus replies out of the corner of his mouth to the hooded figure, keeping eyes and crossbow keenly trained on Katalin.

"Wrong turn was it? You better speak up quick as the dogs still haven't had their fill yet..."

#8 Friday, 17th October 2014 15:16

Grognard
Spergelord

Hehe. BTW since this is the first actual role playing scene in bloody ages, I figure we should go back and forth for a few days here IC and OOC to see how it pans out? I really want to move things along to keep it fresh so if we can get through all the who's what's where's and why's in turn 9 that'd be ace. I'm kinda acutely aware that its become more fiction than roleplay since we left the tavern. ;)

Tsamados please do feel free to adlib with Katalin or Siegfried if you want ..

#9 Friday, 17th October 2014 18:41

Tomb-2001

OOC: Franz gone? Maybe we could finger him for Grolsch's murder - all the more convincing as its true! Maybe he was in league with the mutants all along!

Happyto banter next move out in deliberation thread if that suits OOC & IC

For starters IC: 'Thank you, Thank you Sir. The gods must have sent you. Oh so much blood, so  much blood ..... You will help us won't you" (charm+best kooky smile again!)

#10 Friday, 17th October 2014 20:27

Grognard
Spergelord

Betta (charm) (Magnus) Betta's FEL = (36).
1d100 = 95
Result: 2.5 degrees of failure.
Not buying it for a second hehe.
Might even have made him mad lol.

#11 Friday, 17th October 2014 21:13

Tomb-2001

A spectacular failure - oh good - next?

#12 Saturday, 18th October 2014 12:50

Snotling
Save the Snotlings!
Website

IC: "Augh.." Groans when holding his side. "Sir, your arrival was ....  ouch..  You must have heard our pleas.  Thank you."

Seeing that the crossbow is about to pointed at one of our own, he makes an effort to seems non-threatening (pretty easy in this state). 
"This man here", points a Grolch "Tricked us.  We are not like them.  Our first night here and we are attacked"

OOC: Dieter tries to inch closer to his comrades to see how they fair.    Sorry, for delay.  RL had a few things going on these last couple of days.

#13 Saturday, 18th October 2014 19:21

Tsamados

OOC: I'll take over Kaitlin until my character regains consciousness.

IC: To the man with the crossbow "Now hold up we's can explain just don't shoot" he sheafs his blood smeared dagger. "We's was led here as we's were told theres bed and board here, but it was a trick. These things then attacked us and got what they deserved!" Kaitlin spits at the mutant he just murdered.

Last edited by Tsamados (Saturday, 18th October 2014 19:22)

#14 Saturday, 18th October 2014 20:38

Grognard
Spergelord

OOC: Awesome, great to have you back. :)

<Siegfried>

Siegfried signals his agreement by spitting a stream of bloody phlegm in the general direction of the corpses.
"Mutant filth!" he exclaims angrily, mopping the drool off his swollen lips with the cuff of his jacket.

#15 Sunday, 19th October 2014 07:59

Kaine

Magnus looks very un-impressed and spits out a reply "so much blood you say, beheading your guide with a spade will do that!"

#16 Sunday, 19th October 2014 17:21

Snotling
Save the Snotlings!
Website

"It is late.  Perhaps you know of a place to go.  This one" *kicks Grolch's limp leg*  "led us astray." 

Dieter tries to examine his wounds.. "Perhaps some clean linens as well".

#17 Sunday, 19th October 2014 21:18

Tomb-2001

Colour rising, bony fists clenched - fighting back 'the urge', Betta fixes Magnus with a glare, "They are telling you the truth! We were on our way to Frau Ingrid's when we were attacked, we had no choice but to defend ourselves!" Gesturing wildly at the others she continues, "Heir Grolsch was not killed by our hands!"

Then more softly, "We are no threat to you - please we need your help? Our friends are hurt".

OOC: The bit about Grolsch is 100% true - it was Franz and he used a spade!

#18 Monday, 20th October 2014 14:06

Tsamados

OOC Franz has gone so we could just say we had nothing to do with him.

#19 Monday, 20th October 2014 18:24

Tomb-2001

OOC: We had only just met him for all we knew he could have been in league with the mutants - he had the whiff of the grave about him! Hopefully he will reappear and we will have to explain why he is a wanted man!

#20 Monday, 20th October 2014 18:54

Grognard
Spergelord

Just a reminder that the idea is to discuss your plans IC and OOC in the deliberation threads. The plan is to basically replicate a tabletop environment where you can chat about motivation, plans of action, realistic responses, back story etc.

I want to try to avoid disparate and/or individual responses and get a group working together and focussed on progressing through the story while staying very much in character. That doesn't mean you can't discuss stuff your characters wouldn't know between yourselves as well.  I'm all for sharing info if it helps to get the game going forward and everyone having fun! I think a large part of that is mulling over your next move, highlighting details you may want to focus on IC etc.

Not bitchin' btw!  Its been a year and I am still trying to remember how this works (best) heh. I actually deleted a post Kaine made earlier about his character's motivation, concerns and what he was looking for from you guys to progress things etc. So I do apologize Kaine! I think that was a mistake as Tomb and Tsamados are doing it too and on reflection I think its absolutely necessary. You need to know this stuff and discuss your responses in advance to keep things organized and coherent.  I thought the first scene/s in the Kaisersnitzel worked really well and it felt 'alive' because you all worked together and discussed everything OOC etc.

I know when I play these games it gives me a much higher level of involvement than if its just a case of logging in and posting a few lines of dialog then waiting a week or more to do it again etc. I honestly would probably lose interest in that before too long and I'm worried that will happen here ..

I'm really keen to stress that I am not 'the boss' here. You guys are. Anything you want to do, want to say or share that you feel makes it more fun and easier to keep things going, just do it. I'm not a professional GM lol. I've never even done this before.. ! Its all about you guys at the end of the day. All I do is write it all up.

Hopefully Tsamados will be along shortly to condense all of the above in to 1 sentence! :P

PS: I want to do two updates a week whenever possible to get the game moving along at a decent pace. This scene being a transition is a bit more time consuming but it does sometimes make me go 'wow bloody hell!' that we haven't even begun the Oldenhaller Contract yet lol. I was honestly hoping to have it finished by fall 2014 and be on to Dark Heresy! *chuckle

#21 Tuesday, 21st October 2014 00:06

Snotling
Save the Snotlings!
Website

OOC

Tomb-2001 wrote:

OOC: Hopefully he will reappear and we will have to explain why he is a wanted man!

*snicker*  Tis funny.   

I think, the idea is to try and convince Magnus to not kill us and hopefully tell us where we can go for rest.

#22 Wednesday, 22nd October 2014 01:37

Grognard
Spergelord

Snotling wrote:

OOC

Tomb-2001 wrote:

OOC: Hopefully he will reappear and we will have to explain why he is a wanted man!

*snicker*  Tis funny.   

I think, the idea is to try and convince Magnus to not kill us and hopefully tell us where we can go for rest.

Yup. Its going a bit slow here so I figure I'll toss in some ideas to help get tongues wagging. ;) I may have been playing way too much CoC lately, but there are a few things worth poking around IC when/if you get the chance.

Firstly, if you recall, Gustav Bohm sent you here not Grolsch - who didn't want to come here at all. What is the link between Bohm and Ingrid? Gropecunt was referred to as being a 'knocking shop before the fire'. So thats a while ago if you read the notes on Nuln in the Supp. Info forum. How contemporary is Bohm's knowledge of this end of the city? What is the link between Grolsch and Bohm? We never really looked at that either. Grolsch clearly deferred to Bohm in the tavern - why? Grolsch if you recall is a Marienburger and not a Nulner. Does Magnus know Grolsch or Bohm? That could also be something you might consider.

Anyway, the relationship (whatever that is) between Ingrid and Bohm might be something you could use to persuade Magnus you aren't what he probably assumes you are (given what he knows about the gang that attacked you). If Magnus is hesitant to kill you but his companions are used to routinely killing anyone that comes near Gropecunt, what does that suggest? I mean these guys have dogs that eat people. Literally. That's not very normal lol. At least not where I live. :) Does Magnus know who attacked you? Who is 'the Hag' and why did she attack you? Did she attack you, or were you just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Took a wrong turn, as Magnus mentioned ..

I was really trying to give you a strong sense of foreboding about this end of the city in the trip through the Faulestadt. All the bits about how there's nothing here, how it seems to be populated only by vermin. The mad geometry of the buildings. The freakish way Grolsch just layed in to those children and their animalistic behaviour etc. The signs and symbols all over the place that read like some sort of pictographic code. The idea was to make you think that whatever this place used to be, however busy and mainstream, it certainly isn't anymore. ;)

Some of these things may be relevant, some not. The game will be full of little details like this and if you put them together here and there you will (as a group) stand a much better chance of surviving the scenario and bagging some decent XP for your efforts. The original Oldenhaller Contract was very linear and very DnD'ish. I'm trying to flesh it out a little and generally I really like investigative as well as combative WFRP games myself. :)

In terms of characterization: try to conceptualize your characters in terms of real people and personalities rather than just a collection of needs and as tools to advance the plot. If you behave realistically with realistic dialog and realistic responses to events and people it will flow along nicely.  You will find it much easier to post dialog that not only feels natural but reflects your curiosity about something as well as your character's. That's the big advantage of this medium, we can flesh things out and take time to fill a scene with interesting details that just don't make it in to the silk screen approach applied to typical tabletop/live games. Its what makes it more interesting.

That is how I envisioned it being anyway, but I am willing to accept that it isn't everyone's cup of tea and that maybe people just want something lighter and more penny arcade with short sharp and to the point romp around the city followed by tea and medals. I enjoy both! So do tell me if you'd rather go for that sort of thing! There is no game without players and you guys are probably the last 4 dudes alive willing to even try this lol.

Also, yes, I am going to stop shitting up the deliberation threads with 500 word mini essays lol .. !

#23 Wednesday, 22nd October 2014 10:12

Kaine

OOC - sorry I think I am unintentionally slowing things down here as I'm trying not to give the game away about what I know that the party doesn't,  but clearly the party are still awaiting how Magnus reacts...

#24 Wednesday, 22nd October 2014 10:51

Kaine

IC - Magnus raises an eyebrow, "Frau Ingrid you say, she will indeed want to see those who have drawn that putrid witch to our door."
Magnus gestures to his hooded colleagues, "help the wounded in but stay lively in case Lotte and her minions return." Magnus moves his icy black glare towards Siegfried.

#25 Wednesday, 22nd October 2014 13:14

Grognard
Spergelord

Kaine wrote:

OOC - sorry I think I am unintentionally slowing things down here as I'm trying not to give the game away about what I know that the party doesn't,  but clearly the party are still awaiting how Magnus reacts...

Its cool, as mentioned above I think, on reflection, its best if we just share as much as possible (although holding back some stuff to keep it interesting) OOC each turn before we all post up IC. Otherwise we'll just get everyone responding independently and the narrative won't make much sense. Your original post that I (wrongly) deleted was p much spot on in this regard.

#26 Wednesday, 22nd October 2014 22:22

Tsamados

IC: Siegfried meets Magnus's gaze. "We appreciate your help really, but is there any chance you can enlighten us as to what's going on? We were led here by Grolsh who said there were rooms here for hire, then those things attacked....Now I'm missing half my fucking teeth, my friend Waldemar has his face smashed and Grolsh looks to have his skull stoved in!"

Last edited by Tsamados (Wednesday, 22nd October 2014 22:24)

#27 Thursday, 23rd October 2014 20:50

Eggburger

Hello all!

Katalin signing in.

IC: "Aye, I'd like to hear some answers too when you've lowered that dart-gun, youngster. But first I want to get off these damn streets. I don't know about you, young sir, but where I'm from stomping cut-throat muties is cause for celebration not stand-off. What do you say? These people need a healer, a good fire and a bed."

#28 Thursday, 23rd October 2014 23:10

Tomb-2001

IC (To Magnus): "Thank you, thank you! But Katalin is right. Please, please we must hurry they might be coming back!"

then turning

IC (Generally to he group): "When we are safe I can tend to your injuries if you will let me try?" Betta then starts bustling around trying to help Siegfried, Dieter and Waldemar on to their feet and ready to move out.

#29 Thursday, 23rd October 2014 23:55

Grognard
Spergelord

Update this weekend, probably Saturday. ;) Still plenty of time to add more if you want ..

Massive props to Tsamados for handling being k.o'd like a boss and juggling Katalin and Siegried through this difficult scene. Thanks dude! o7

I'll dole out some XP at the end of each in-game day so everyone can grow as we go so to speak. I know its been a bit lumpy, but we have lost 3 guys and gained 2 new ones.  Hopefully we can really steam on from here and get in to the more itchy-tasty bits.

#30 Friday, 24th October 2014 09:18

Eggburger

OK, then.

If the opportunity arises (e.g., as we walk from here to somewhere else with Magnus and his men):

Katalin strikes up conversation of a sort, comparing his cross-bow with that of one of Magnus' men or Magnus himself if that's possible: weight, range, reload speed, the merits of Dwarven vs. human craftsmanship, and their tendency to jam at the most critical moments, that sort of thing.

During the chat, Katalin will try to get some more background information on Ingrid, Gustav, Grolsch, Lotte, and "Hallur's missin' bauble"...

#31 Friday, 24th October 2014 21:59

Grognard
Spergelord

Good plan! There will be an opportunity to speak to Ingrid in the next turn and I was planning to get most of those questions covered in the initial encounter but since you specifically asked for that info and in a way that fits in with the narrative, it makes it a lot easier. ;)

What we could do to save time is adopt this approach as a broader strategy, whereby you can tell me if you want to bring up anything, probe something specific etc. in advance, just like the above from Katalin, and then I can just cover it in the following Journal entry instead of dragging out PC/NPC interactions over several turns and wasting precious time.

Don't forget that you can also use if/then contingencies to speed things up further ..

Basically anything that saves having to stop the narrative to allow you to interact, because it wasn't pre-empted, allows the game to progress faster and each Journal entry to be a bit more comphrensive than just scene setting and moving from one place to the next etc.

#32 Saturday, 25th October 2014 19:28

Tomb-2001

What we could do to save time is adopt this approach as a broader strategy, whereby you can tell me if you want to bring up anything, probe something specific etc. in advance, just like the above from Katalin, and then I can just cover it in the following Journal entry instead of dragging out PC/NPC interactions over several turns and wasting precious time.

Thanks for the clarification.

In that case immediate Betta's objectives are in order of priority and if the opportunities arise are to:

1) Get Waldemar, Dieter and Siegfried to somewhere safe and comfortable, tend to their wounds(Heal) if they are happy for her to try;

2) Wash up and maybe change into some new clothes if Ingrid has any spare garments hanging around from her days as a madam - she ought to scrub up pretty well given her better than average Fel? Nothing to risque though!; and

3) Finally convene a good old, cosy, fire side chat with Ingrid (Gossip) to learn what she can about her past, detect if she has any magical aura and anything more about  the witch/ mutants, "the fire", Gustav, Grolsch, Lotte, and Hallur's missing bauble...etc.

#33 Saturday, 25th October 2014 19:55

Grognard
Spergelord

Right you are. I'll do the update tomorrow then as I'll be needing a stiff drink tonight .. !

#34 Sunday, 26th October 2014 20:43

Grognard
Spergelord

Apologies, been out for dinner and just got back. Likely be tomorrow now as I am slightly (lol) wasted. 
Check me out - managing expectation like a total boss as usual! :0

#35 Sunday, 26th October 2014 21:23

Snotling
Save the Snotlings!
Website

Cheers!

(for what, I'll let you decide)

#36 Sunday, 26th October 2014 21:41

Eggburger

I have totally baited my breath in complete readiness...

#37 Sunday, 26th October 2014 21:41

Tomb-2001

So masterful! ;)

#38 Monday, 27th October 2014 19:25

Grognard
Spergelord

Locked for update.

Board footer