Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Play by Post Games

Interactive fiction in the Old World

You are not logged in.

#1 Monday, 27th October 2014 19:37

Grognard
Spergelord

The Oldenhaller Contract (10)

Ok this is a bit choppy, sorry. I'm still feeling my way with the transitions and tenses etc. I'll post the journal shortly, just want to grab some dinner and run it through a spell checker first. ;)

You're basically good for the night. Dieter, Waldermar and Siegfried will be able to find food and drink and somewhere to sleep (their bed rolls will be returned to them but not their weapons) in the house. Katalin is 'mingling' and will return in the next turn if he chooses. I think there will be one more turn tonight, maybe two depending on how Betta handles her 'interrogation'.

Ingrid's Aura: Ingrid's aura is a pale yellow, flecked with spots of black and red. She is wracked with the wasting sickness. A gentle probe reveals a malignancy in the lungs that snakes out through every center of her body. There is no sense of Wyrd from the old woman. She apparently speaks the truth when she says she is dying. By your guess she will be gone in a matter of days, if not sooner. The young man opposite her notes your observation with interest, inviting, or perhaps challenging you to turn your talents on him.

Dieter will regain 2 wounds, Siegfried 2 wounds and Waldermar 3 wounds as things stand assuming you elect to keep a watch on and take it in turns to sleep 3-4 hours and make sure nobody interferes with Waldermar etc.

You could find an unoccupied room in the house but I would think the 'guards' would discourage you wandering around too much.

Katalin can also choose to adopt a different approach now you know just what sort of place this is?

As it stands he will return with the results of gossip tests next turn and probably want to eat/drink and get some sleep himself.

Betta has hit two of her three targets and getting washed up and a change of clothes will follow assuming she convinces Ingrid not to feed you to the dogs etc.

Magnus will be free to do whatever he wants next turn - also depending on what happens with Betta and Ingrid. He has lodgings in one of the outbuildings which he can use if he wants and his equipment (and character sheet) will be available next turn.

Again I'll do any NPC interactions (including Betta/Ingrid)/test results etc here and just compile it all together for the next update like before. I reckon it works well enough and saves time. ;)

I'm also aware that the wandering between scenes terminated by some new character asking why they shouldn't feed you to the X is maybe becoming a bit of a trope .. :P

I am to nerds what nerds are to normal people.

#2 Monday, 27th October 2014 21:23

Eggburger

Re: The Oldenhaller Contract (10)

Good stuff.

OOC: Katalin's happy to (i) pump the underlings for info (which should take less than 30 mins) before, (ii) heading upstairs with Betta and Magnus to check out Ingrid.

Regarding (i): Katalin's smart enough to know that he's not naturally gifted in the charm department. But he knows that at least some of the men will be intrigued by his armour, weapons, etc., and that, if he isn't pushy and takes it slow, a bit of gruff, no-nonsense flattery from him might loosen some tongues at 1am after an adrenalin-fuelled set to. He's also been listening carefully (Acute Hearing) to any muttered comments from the folk they passed on the way in. As before, he's interested in anything to do with Ingrid, Magnus, and the Mutie Palace, but also Gustav and Grolsch from the pub, the hag Lotte, and "Hallur's missin' bauble" (although I guess the latter is way down the list by now given what's unfolded since it was mentioned back in the pub)...

Regarding (ii): He's going to walk behind Magnus and Betta, very unobtrusive, respectful, quiet. Let Betta take the lead.

#3 Tuesday, 28th October 2014 15:46

Grognard
Spergelord

Eggburger wrote:

Good stuff.

OOC: Katalin's happy to (i) pump the underlings for info (which should take less than 30 mins) before, (ii) heading upstairs with Betta and Magnus to check out Ingrid.

Regarding (i): Katalin's smart enough to know that he's not naturally gifted in the charm department. But he knows that at least some of the men will be intrigued by his armour, weapons, etc., and that, if he isn't pushy and takes it slow, a bit of gruff, no-nonsense flattery from him might loosen some tongues at 1am after an adrenalin-fuelled set to. He's also been listening carefully (Acute Hearing) to any muttered comments from the folk they passed on the way in. As before, he's interested in anything to do with Ingrid, Magnus, and the Mutie Palace, but also Gustav and Grolsch from the pub, the hag Lotte, and "Hallur's missin' bauble" (although I guess the latter is way down the list by now given what's unfolded since it was mentioned back in the pub)...

Regarding (ii): He's going to walk behind Magnus and Betta, very unobtrusive, respectful, quiet. Let Betta take the lead.

1. Are you going to be using coin to loosen tongues - given you don't Gossip? If so, how much (you still have the bag of 100 bits left over from the fight) and how many times do you want to fail before you give up? 1 bit = +1%. So you'd need to bribe 10 bits just to break even given your -10 modifier etc. TBH I think the folk will be receptive to some cash, if not a Dwarf. I figure that would balance itself out.

2. Okey doke. I think only Betta has entered the room; you could be hanging back, perhaps Magnus could bar the way or something. I'll re-edit the Journal later to reflect this. Apologies Kaine, not taking liberties, its just you are already written in as being there and there aren't any NPC's available. I don't think the idea is to keep you out, but I wanted to isolate Betta for the first exchange to prevent any adverse response from what will surely follow. By not being in the room you aren't compelled to 'react' artificially to anything you witness. You will, as you so rightly mentioned, be more than able to hear every word anyway. Something the humans haven't even considered. If you want to barge on in there anyone or do whatever, its ofc, entirely up to you! That goes for everyone btw. Waldermar is now conscious, albeit with a hell of a concussion and in a fair amount of pain.

Magnus knows that the young man is called Mattias and Ingrid uses the term grandson liberally with all the trusted young menfolk. He is a minister to the 'afflicted' and does honest work tending to the ills and providing spiritual guidance to the transient population of Gropecunt and presumably beyond in other halfway houses and hideouts within the city. The temple does not acknowledge mutants (mutants do not exist, only the vile minions of the Ruinous Powers) or anyone touched by Chaos. The symbol of a dove on his chest has two heads, identifying him as a member of a lay order of devotees that operate unofficially, without sanction and presumably with absolute deniability.

BTW all of this little jaunt is entirely relevant to the Oldenhaller Contract. Its not just filler lol. Gropecunt was always the first port of call - its just that what with the break and the turnover of players, it feels like its taking forever. It isn't really. :P The decisions you make here will directly affect how the rest of it plays out later on.

Also re: the info gathering, I couldn't fit that in last turn but I'm aware you need it to proceed. I'm not trying to be obtuse just didn't want to skip past the meeting with Ingrid. I was going to, but then I figured it might be a good way for Betta to get some much needed guidance and it would make sense that she might feel a little less ambiguously about mutants given that she is a kill-on-sight 'abomination' herself.

Finally, shall we aim for Thursday for next update?

#4 Tuesday, 28th October 2014 22:09

Kaine

OOC - Happy for you to take liberties for the storyline Grognard, great writing by the way, and looking forward to the character sheet. Presumably Magnus has briefed Ingrid and Mattias in the half an hour he has been gone from the group, so will stay silent for now and look to follow Ingrid's direction. Magnus is keen to see what the strangers have to say given Lotte's gang have never openly assaulted Gropecunt before, which is alarming to say the least. 

Whilst Magnus is loyal to Ingrid, he doesn't need to be able to read auras to tell that she hasn't got long left needs to think to the future...

#5 Wednesday, 29th October 2014 01:01

Tomb-2001

"My grandson tells me you are a woman of great value, but I only have hope, not proof. Give me something I can use to keep you and your friends alive, dearie." Ingrid says painfully. "I'm dying, you see, and I'm sorry to say that I have become careless with other people's lives in the last few weeks."

IC: "Frau Ingrid how can we ever... Er, what? A woman of great value? Surely you don't mean...? Er - Friends? Well really we only just..., but I suppose...not the one with the shovel though, no definitely not him!"

OCC: To keep things going and to ensure I do not pro-long this round for several weeks in order of priority I have set out Betta's motives and likely responses below (Charm/ Gossip checks as appropriate). Please feel free to respond to some or all and I will make any other responses required :

1) Betta will offer copious thanks to Ingrid on everyone's behalf.  She will truthfully explain the night's series of events as she has witnessed them starting with the Kaiserschnitzel. Franz's murder of Grolsch will not be omitted but Franz will simply be described as he appeared to her as one stranger among several that Grolsch lead from the tavern with the promise of a safe room for the night. Betta will not initially make any reference to her own 'special abilities' or that she nearly cast during the last encounter but will postulate that Lotte, "Must have been using some strange sort of powers..." (Depending on how things pan out more may have to come out but after a lifetime of being told to 'Don't let them in, don't let them see. Be the good girl you always have to be. Conceal, don't feel, don't let them know...'* she is not going to just blurt out that she occasionally travels to the other side of the Hedge!).

2) On realizing Ingrid is terminally ill she will make an altruistic offer of her own healing skills, "Surely I can try to ease your pain, it is the least I can do for you given the circumstances..."

3) The above are knee jerk IC responses to the situation. However, once the enormity of the situation has sunk in Betta will follow two principal lines of inquiry:

i) Ingrid/ Gropecunt - who, what, why? And past history of both - Betta will be quite open about her own sympathies towards unfortunate 'natural mutants' but also that these do not extent to anyone tainted by chaos - there is a clear distinction in her own mind. (Grognard - you may recall my original character bio included these views - which is nice given the turn of events!). If Ingrid's motivations and the existence of Gropecunt appear to fit with these views/ideals Betta will be keen to learn more and offer her services as a healer, "To help continue the good work once you're dead, er - gone, I mean passed on! - Er sorry"; and

ii) Lotte and her minions - who, why they attacked the Gropecunt? (assuming information is forthcoming that is was not just a random event). If Lotte et al are identified as a threat to Ingrid/Gropecunt Betta will offer assistance to help resolve things by way of repaying the debit, "I'm sure the others will want  to help to, once they understand the situation..." Hehe!

4) Finally, you have given hints as to the answer to this but Betta's curiosity will get the better of her and if the conversation goes well with Ingrid she will seek to learn more from  Mattias  about him, his role and his mistress. Oh yes she won't be able to help trying to 'Magic Sense' him!

* - Embarrassingly sad where my inspiration comes from these days!

#6 Wednesday, 29th October 2014 02:18

Grognard
Spergelord

Crickey! I figured you would just go route one. :) Ok I can see that I am going to have to try a lot harder to make you my bitches. Nicely done Tomb lol.

I'll throw something together tomorrow ;)

I had to google those lyrics btw. Not sure what business a middle aged man has quoting Demi Lovato. You must have teenage daughters or something. :P

I also totally dig this 'meta' approach to filling out the narrative btw. Like you say, you can provide a few snippets and a general direction and it will literally allow me to fill out an entire scene without the long lead time of bouncing back and forth for days. Just make sure you preface any 'general directions' with enough contingency dialog of a decent quality, so I am not having to put words in your character's mouth.

Kaine: There is one more detail that I posted up here but took down again as I didn't want to ruin the 'twist' so to speak. It may become relevant but it may not. I've PM'd you .. just because I think Magnus would also know this and it might help with regards 'looking to the future' as you say. Hehe. Also note I edited the shit out of the PM while you were reading it no doubt. lol. Sorry!

Character sheet, is sort of done, in my head and has been for over a year .. just need to actually open Acrobat and you know, push buttons. lol. *facepalming self

I'm certain it will be completed by err tomorrow .. !

#7 Wednesday, 29th October 2014 09:47

Eggburger

(i) Regarding Gossip. I don't think Katalin's disposed to throwing coin around. First, it's not all his. Second, he's tight with money. Third, he suspects he'd probably muff up the interaction, being clumsy with words in those type of situations. He figures if the men have something to say then they will say it and if not that is well and good - they'll have their reasons.

IC: "So which of you nailed that thug with the bolt, earlier? I'd like to shake him by the hand. A good shot in the dark, that was, and I should know I can see better than most. Reminded me of a shot I made on the slopes of the Grey Mountains as a youngster.  Although I wasn't shooting at a mutant, more a cultist, and he was up a tree rather than down an alley, but it was a great shot. Any of you ever seen the trees on the Mountains? Huge things they can be. How did you end up here, anyway? Followed your boss here, mebbe? If he is your boss? Who's in charge would you say? Do you often get folk like us run from the Kaiserschnitzel into a backstreet ambush outside your front door? That needs sorting out, I'd say. At both ends. Barman and Hag. What do you say?"

(ii) Regarding Betta and Ingrid: After a nod from Betta, Katalin's prepared to "stand guard" outside the room. "I'll be right here missy, you go ahead." Listening. Anticipating danger. Preparing for the worst.

Last edited by Eggburger (Wednesday, 29th October 2014 09:48)

#8 Wednesday, 29th October 2014 22:17

Tsamados

OOC. Embarrassingly tomb I knew where those lyrics came from without consulting google, my 3 year old daughter has made sure of that! For those blissfully ignorant its from Frozen one of Disney's more recent animated yarns.

l.C. Siegfried is going to just keep to himself: get some scran cooking, try and tend to his wounds and make sure no one interferes with Waldermar.

#9 Friday, 31st October 2014 00:50

Grognard
Spergelord

Eh sorry I am a bit lagged tonight. Had a bitching migraine and slept most of the evening.
Working on update now. ;)

#10 Friday, 31st October 2014 02:31

Grognard
Spergelord

Locked for update.

Board footer