Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Play by Post Games

Interactive fiction in the Old World

You are not logged in.

#1 Tuesday, 4th November 2014 23:23

Grognard
Spergelord

The Oldenhaller Contract (12)

Righteo. Almost done! Thanks for hanging in there non Betta guys. lol.

I am to nerds what nerds are to normal people.

#2 Wednesday, 5th November 2014 13:49

Snotling
Save the Snotlings!
Website

Re: The Oldenhaller Contract (12)

great story so far. I'm enjoying it.

#3 Wednesday, 5th November 2014 13:50

Eggburger

me too.

#4 Wednesday, 5th November 2014 14:33

Grognard
Spergelord

Cheers! The rats thing was plagiarised from 'Ash' by Mary Gentle so I can't take credit for that. :P

The last post was a massive jerk off tbh. Clearly a bit of Satis House about Ingrid's chambers. I think the bit about the center piece and the feast is almost word for word Dickens (but not intentionally). The bath table is (googles) Jug Wine Glass and Wafer Biscuits by Lubin Baugin.

I could have just put: you go upstairs, tum te tum, more lighting alliteration, oh and btw Magnus whispers x. I'm thinking my excuse is just that it sets the tone hehe.

Don't worry though I'm not going to be going nuts all the time .. !

#5 Wednesday, 5th November 2014 21:16

Tomb-2001

Sorry guys looks like it is my move - should manage to find a quiet corner later tonight.

Ps: Enjoyed the update - it made me feel quite unwell - keep jerking!

#6 Wednesday, 5th November 2014 21:20

Grognard
Spergelord

No rush. ;)

#7 Thursday, 6th November 2014 02:04

Tomb-2001

"You are in grave danger and I think we can help each other out .."

Captivated by the once splendid surroundings and with her head still whirling from the intoxicating atmosphere and confusing words spoken downstairs Magnus' rough handling jerks Betta back to reality. Squirming against his grip she spits with fiery venom, "No! Unhand me you young 'welp' [insert expletive of choice] I am no whore to be used by the likes of you!". Simultaneously her free hand rises up in defense.  Then hearing his words she stops frozen and returns his stare, "Danger? But you saved us? Ingrid made threats but she's dying and not all...um there? Mattias said I was special and he could help me,,,but those creatures? Was he lying, even mocking me...are you now mocking me?" Then hackles rising again, "Tell me what is this place really? What is this danger of which you speak? How can we help each other? Out with it now! No more lies! Or else!" Her free hand is now raised under Magnus' chin with a tiny pin held just gently pricking his skin.

OOC: To contextualise the above response: Given it has been quite a night so far what with the shoveling incident and so forth and Betta went upstairs thinking that for the first time in her life there was a possibility that someone other than 'Granny' understood and didn't fear her - Magnus' unfortunate bursting of that little bubble has understandably sent her into a right piss! (Nothing personal Magnus/Khaine - I am loving these cosy chats by the way!).

Additionally given the way the last update ended I have presumptuously taken a great liberty in assuming the initiative is with Betta (ironic if you look at her character sheet!) Let me know if I have presumed too much.

- Assuming Magnus now offers some explanation Betta will listen and consider his words;
- If convinced she will wish to involve the others and inform them of any dangers at the earliest opportunity;
or
- If violence ensues she will attempt to defend herself [channel/shock]; :)
and
- If time/plot permits Betta would like to examine a few of the room's objects in more detail starting with the mother of pearl handled tools (What king of tools? How big is the case? etc) and then the book (Common Knowledge Empire - Does the signature 'Dürer, Hersteller seiner Majestät' mean anything to her?

Last edited by Tomb-2001 (Thursday, 6th November 2014 02:08)

#8 Thursday, 6th November 2014 19:09

Grognard
Spergelord

Quick reply as still stuck in traffic on M1. *sigh

I think we're alright re: initiative, assuming nobody is actually looking to kick off.

If you are we'd need to do things differently ofc. ;)

#9 Thursday, 6th November 2014 20:11

Tomb-2001

I am hoping it won't come to that! Just spicing it up for dramatic effect - now who's jerking!

#10 Thursday, 6th November 2014 23:20

Grognard
Spergelord

Tomb-2001 wrote:

- If time/plot permits Betta would like to examine a few of the room's objects in more detail starting with the mother of pearl handled tools (What king of tools? How big is the case? etc) and then the book (Common Knowledge Empire - Does the signature 'Dürer, Hersteller seiner Majestät' mean anything to her?

Tools are vanity related. Scissors, comb, brush, tweezers, pin cushion and needles, various powders etc. Case is about 16" long and 8" deep. It doesn't have a handle but the key is in the lock.

Dürer, Hersteller seiner Majestät means Dürer, Manufacturer to His Majesty. Whoever the book belonged too he/she could afford the very best. I was also trying to convey that the Aubenstrasse (the place where people now tip their barrels of excrement) was in Ingrid's day quite different.

Common Knowledge (Empire): INT 32, 1d100=4

Wilhelm Dürer was a notable illustrator, engraver and polymath. Native of Nuln. b. 2303 IC d. 2343 IC. Trained as an artist under his father Ludwig. In 2323 (and perhaps earlier) he was residing in Couronne with other Imperial artistic refugees and later settled in Marienburg 2326-2331, before returning to Nuln and settling in the exclusive Aldig with studios on the Aubenstrasse. He was commissioned in 2337 to paint a Feast of the Gods for Emperor Magnus the Pious (now lost). Latterly famous for his altarpieces and decorative schemes for palaces, including the Temple of Sigmar in Nuln and Schloss Bückeborg (Wissenland). Died aged just 40 in Nuln, apparently in some poverty, and according to some sources an alcoholic pederast.

I can't for the life of me work out under what circumstances Betta would know that, but hey, I don't think you can argue with a roll of 4 lol. You got pretty lucky there. Rashafaragafsaahshahahsh ..

I should really backdate the timeline to include the Great Incursion too. I'll do that tomorrow.

#11 Friday, 7th November 2014 08:56

Kaine

Tomb-2001 wrote:

"You are in grave danger and I think we can help each other out .."

Captivated by the once splendid surroundings and with her head still whirling from the intoxicating atmosphere and confusing words spoken downstairs Magnus' rough handling jerks Betta back to reality. Squirming against his grip she spits with fiery venom, "No! Unhand me you young 'welp' [insert expletive of choice] I am no whore to be used by the likes of you!". Simultaneously her free hand rises up in defense.  Then hearing his words she stops frozen and returns his stare, "Danger? But you saved us? Ingrid made threats but she's dying and not all...um there? Mattias said I was special and he could help me,,,but those creatures? Was he lying, even mocking me...are you now mocking me?" Then hackles rising again, "Tell me what is this place really? What is this danger of which you speak? How can we help each other? Out with it now! No more lies! Or else!" Her free hand is now raised under Magnus' chin with a tiny pin held just gently pricking his skin.

"Yes I did save you," replies Magnus in firm but hushed tones whilst batting away the pin with his bound up arm, "I was beginning to think you had forgotten..." Magnus eases his grip on Betta, "I mean you no harm, but Ingrid's threats should never be taken lightly, she is a parasite who preys on the weak and desperate."

"Do you really think you are the first group to blindly stumble into this dead end alley? How many of those do you reckon were spared?" Magnus pauses a moment to let this sink in.

"I need out of this wretched pit of corruption, and I can guide you safely through Nuln, as your group doesn't seem particularly streetwise. I've already rescued you from Lotte and her minions as well as sparing you from becoming target practice for the lads. I think you owe me that, but I want a favour in return..." a look of desperation appears on his face, eyes pleading "I can't leave the likes of Mol to fend for themselves, I need you to speak to Mattias to ensure he looks after the others and protects them from harm, he's taken an interest in you and will listen to you, but sees me just as one of Ingrid's heavy handed goons."

#12 Friday, 7th November 2014 09:13

Eggburger

Nice.

#13 Friday, 7th November 2014 10:03

Tomb-2001

Realising the futility of her situation, idle threat brushed away Betta splutters, "But, but how are we to ever escape this place? Surely if what you say is true Ingrid will never allow it?"

"You are right we can not leave these poor people alone and without protection. I had hoped I might be able to stay here and help but your words tell me I would not be safe even here...must keep moving on, never stay in one place too long, don't let them suspect" she mutters lost in anguished thought.

Then mind resolved, "Tell me what we must do. I can try to speak with Mattias but can he be trusted? Is he what he says he is? Those...erm pets? Will he even listen to me?"

#14 Friday, 7th November 2014 11:29

Grognard
Spergelord

Oh yeah! Great stuff!

Edit: Updated timeline to cover all of Old World 'history'. I'm taking the vast majority of it to be nonsense and the rest allegorical nonsense. :P

#15 Sunday, 9th November 2014 09:44

Kaine

Tomb-2001 wrote:

Realising the futility of her situation, idle threat brushed away Betta splutters, "But, but how are we to ever escape this place? Surely if what you say is true Ingrid will never allow it?"

"You are right we can not leave these poor people alone and without protection. I had hoped I might be able to stay here and help but your words tell me I would not be safe even here...must keep moving on, never stay in one place too long, don't let them suspect" she mutters lost in anguished thought.

Then mind resolved, "Tell me what we must do. I can try to speak with Mattias but can he be trusted? Is he what he says he is? Those...erm pets? Will he even listen to me?"

"Mattias is the key to this, the lads look up to him more and more with Ingrid's failing health. He's only been around 4 months or so but seems legit and to have a genuine compassion for the afflicted who pass through here, even for Ingrid," a look of bemusement plain to see on Magnus' face.

"Mattias will listen to you, as you share a connection, perhaps with you being a fellow..." Magnus pauses to find the correct term, "...student of the arts, hell he even offered to take you under his wing. It would be best for all concerned if we could secure his agreement to our safe passage out of here, the alternative..." Magnus' voice tapers off.

#16 Monday, 10th November 2014 05:49

Grognard
Spergelord

Just to clarify, Magnus doesn't know Mattias uses magick. He might suspect that there's a bit more to it than just the enormous sense of well being Mattias projects. He also knows Ingrid always takes a special interest in anyone with the 'gifts' who passes through which is why he reported Betta. Although we see that is now because he has his own agenda, not because he wants Ingrid to sink her claws in to Betta per se.

I think its best we don't assume Magnus eavesdropped that conversation between Mattias and Betta either. He probably heard the last exchange about being at war, but wouldn't have detected any magick use.

Katalin did hear the entire conversation but also didn't detect any magick use.

So I'd just re-write that last bit Kaine.

"Mattias will listen to you, as you share a connection..." Magnus pauses to find the correct term, "...student of the arts, hell he even offered to take you under his wing. It would be best for all concerned if we could secure his agreement to our safe passage out of here, the alternative..." Magnus' voice tapers off.

If you specifically want to do something that involves a modified skill/talent test, please try to let me know btw. If nothing is specified, I will go on the 'assumptive logic' approach. Like Katalin's acute hearing etc. No reason other than it just saves time. ;)

PS: Re: detecting magick use I am conceptualizing it like the Quickening in Highlander lore. Aethryically attuned people have a much higher chance of sensing channeling and spell casting in proximity; in line of sight it will be like fireworks only they can see. Up close it is impossible to conceal. 'Ordinary' people will detect changes in air pressure, suffer disorientation, tingling in the skin, burst blood vessels, anuerisms, seizures etc lol. But that is dependent on perception (concussive, percussive, auditory, visual, olfaction etc) and modifiers for how strong the chanelling/spell casting is. Petty magic is obviously a lot weaker and easier to conceal than what Betta did in the alley, which was enough to freak everyone out, make Franz go nuts and Waldermar's nose bleed etc. A magick user would have seen something akin to a 10 sq foot nuclear detonation lol. Lotte definitely would have seen it and Mattias would have felt it and Lotte's spell too, even from inside.

#17 Monday, 10th November 2014 11:47

Kaine

OOC - sorry I thought I was in the room when Betta and Mattias were talking...

"Mattias is key to this, the lads look up to him more and more with Ingrid's failing health.  He's only been around 4 months or so but seems legit and to have a genuine compassion for the afflicted who pass through here, even for Ingrid," a look of bemusement plain to see on Magnus' face.

"Ingrid always takes a..." Magnus pauses looking for the correct phrase, "'special interest' in gifted individuals such as yorself, but has no use at all for your companions, especially the dwarf. It would be best for all concerned if we could secure Mattias' agreement to our safe passage out of here, as the alternative..." a concerned look crosses Magnus' face as his voice tapers off.

#18 Monday, 10th November 2014 16:35

Grognard
Spergelord

Nice one. :)

Update tomorrow?

#19 Monday, 10th November 2014 19:07

Tomb-2001

1) Betta sighs, "Umh,  alright I will try to speak to  Mattias tomorrow, but in return you must warn the others and see that they are ready to flee. Can you arrange for their belongings to be returned or at least provide them with arms so that they can defend themselves should it come to the worse?"

2) Assuming Magnus departs Betta will clean up and change into new clothing - depending on what is available she will select something restrained and practical keeping her original boots and hood. Before trying to get some rest she will lock/ block the door (if possible) and make a further sweep of the room ideally looking for a knife and any other practical items that are small enough to conceal about her person - she is not interested in looting the room.

3) The next morning she will seek a private audience with Mattias and implore him along the following lines,

"I had hoped that I had found a place here where I could be safe and use my gift to help others without fear of persecution. However my gifts stem from a different path to your own. While I am here I bring danger to all of you. I must keep moving on. Please if you want to do what is best for everyone help my friends and I leave this place - you know I can't betray you".

"We both know that Ingrid is close to her end and who knows what she may do to the people here before then? Only you can save us, the others will follow you. You must make your stand for the sake of everyone here. Once Ingrid has gone you will be free to continue with your work".

Last edited by Tomb-2001 (Monday, 10th November 2014 19:16)

#20 Tuesday, 11th November 2014 11:27

Kaine

OOC - Magnus will do as Betta requests and warn the others and ensure they are ready to leave at a moments notice. Magnus will approach Katalin first as still a bit wary of Siegfried and his "mutant filth" comments, plus the Dwarf looks like he could be useful if there is any sign of trouble and Dieter and Waldeemar would probably benefit from the extra recovery time. Magnus will attempt to reunite the group with the rest of their possessions and if challenged will say something along the lines of "Ingrid's orders, who knows what goes through that mad old bats brain at the moment"

#21 Tuesday, 11th November 2014 17:54

Eggburger

IC "OK, young Magnus. If you say so - I could tell something was amiss upstairs. Felt it in my bristles, you know? Anyway, I'm ready. Just say the word. As long as I've my axe and armour I'm fair set to leave this place in an instant. I'll spread the word to our party and shift them out when the time comes."   Katalin will split the watch with Dieter and catch as much sleep as he dares.

#22 Tuesday, 11th November 2014 21:44

Grognard
Spergelord

Just got in. Lagging. May be tomorrow.

/me hides under desk

Edit: Put me on your magical boat, man. Sail me down your chocolatey river of meth.

#23 Wednesday, 12th November 2014 21:52

Grognard
Spergelord

Working on update. I'm pretty tired though so it may be a late, late show sorta affair.

#24 Wednesday, 12th November 2014 22:48

Eggburger

[stops F5-ing]

[waits 5 mins]

[resumes F5-ing]

#25 Thursday, 13th November 2014 00:36

Grognard
Spergelord

Yeah sorry I've been a bit off the last few days. It was a real struggle tonight tbh.

I've broken it in two .. allowing you an opportunity to say anything or add anything etc.

I'll do another update tomorrow night covering the meeting with Mattias and beyond ..

PS: Locked!

Board footer